Shell Concerns

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland County, MI
In the autumn of 2012, my husband and I found a 5-year old female Hermanns on Craigslist for $25 (was actually advertised as a Sulcata). She was being housed in a small, glass aquarium kept in a garage, bedded on dry mulch, and being fed a commercially prepared diet for "fruit-eating reptiles". Thus the pyramiding...
Now, whether they had been there the whole time or are recent, I noticed a few months ago deep ridges between her central carapace scutes. They've not gotten worse but should I be concerned? Other than proper diet/housing can I do anything to repair this?
In the time we've had her, we "think" her pyramiding decreased, but she's probably close to full-grown, right? How much improvement should we expect?

Gretchen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't normally say this, but maybe your tortoise could benefit from having a topical rubbed into the shell. Something that will lubricate. Some members have been having good luck with coconut oil. But whatever you use, be sure to polish it all off with a soft, absorbent cloth.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
Not to start another debate, but I just read the thread titled "Coconut Oil" and noticed 2 very good yet very divergent opinions on the topic. You said "lubrication". I'm not an experienced tortoise keeper, so would you mind elaborating for me?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it bothers me that the new growth areas are shriveled and sunken in. I thought a bit of lubrication might help these areas.

Could your light/heat source possible be too close to the top of the tortoise's shell?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yvonne is correct. This tortoise will definitely benefit from twice daily soaks followed with coconut oil massages. I have a new Russian rescue with badly malformed scutes, cracked and sunken. I soak her, then pat her dry, then rub coconut oil all over, especially working it deep into the problem areas.

Biochemnerd very successfully loosened stuck scutes on a Russian of hers. The keratin needs nutrition as well, and coconut oil is made up of a very fine molecule which enables it to quickly absorb and penetrate, brining with it moisture and omega oils. I personally don't wipe it off, as I've found that very dry shells will absorb it all within a few hours, leaving shell not shiny, but much healthier looking. I've not found the substrate to stick to it either...and it does not seem to prevent misting from benefitting them.

I was using olive oil, but Biochemnerd sold me on coconut oil (which is so versatile..I can use on my skin, my dogs, cooking, etc). I bought a jar for $6 at grocery store (baking aisle) and literally said "WOW" outloud when I treated a tortoise for the first time.

And my skin is much softer as well!! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
I see what you're saying, Yvonne; thank you. Will try Coconut oil as soon as I can get out to the store and will begin daily soaks as well. They have a 150W MVB but don't bask under too often. We've actually been struggling to keep temps up in our reptile room this winter; our house is so drafty so I don't worry she's too warm.

shaigirl98

Is it ok if I use macadamia oil on my Hermann's shell, and are u able to reverse pyramiding?

Hermann's love!!