Shell Concern

zardeo70

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoise, Frankie, has some indentations on the top of his shell that I don't know if I should be worried about. He also has a discoloration on some parts of the bottom of his shell.
Frankie's previous owner purchased him at a pet store and fed him nothing but iceberg lettuce the entire year she had him. Since I have had him I have tried to feed him more nutritious greens, many of which he should love like other tortoises, but he only likes to eat romaine lettuce. He will eat this zoo med land tortoise dry mix I have when i turn it into a mash for him, but other than that he is a picky eater,.
I will post some pictures of the little guy. Any and all feedback from other experience tort parents is appreciated. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409018354.282921.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409018376.998937.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409018415.116357.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409018427.198761.jpg

Sarah Ashley

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He looks fine too me. You do need to get him to eat a better diet. Chop,the better stuff up fine, then mix it in with the romaine that is also chopped up, just a little bigger then the other stuff. Spritz with water. As he gets used to eating this, decrease the amount of romaine, until it's only the good stuff that he is eating. You can also chopped up the better foods and mix it with the tortoise diet you are feeding him.

zardeo70

5 Year Member
Thank you! I'm glad his shell is no cause for concern. Thanks for the tip too Wellington. I never thought about trying to 'trick' him into eating better. Should I be giving him any supplements? He has cuttlebone in his enclosure and I have never seen him touch it. It still looks the exact same as when i placed it in there.

Sarah Ashley