Shell color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starjelly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern ca. J
Hi, my name is shea and my Russian :tort: doesn't have a very shiny shell like the leopards. I'm wondering if that is commen for Russians. And if it isn't is their anything I can do to make his shell shinier.:) also I'm wondering if two male Russian tortoises will get along because from what I've read on the forum one will end up killing the other but at pet stores they'll often house two or more males together and I never see them fighting. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shea:

I remember you saying that you are Franeich's nephew, but I don't think I ever knew where you are?

My russian tortoises live outside. They always look pretty shiny. So I'm wondering if your tortoise just needs a nice bath? You can take a soft bristle brush and give him a good scrubbing, then take a soft cloth and polish him off.

I'm not a fan of adding any topical creams or lotions to a tortoise's shell, but after you clean him real good, if you wanted to put a very tiny bit of olive oil on him then using that same soft cloth, rub it in and polish if off. Don't leave a lot of oil on him because it attracts dust and he might overheat.

If you plan to keep your tortoises outside, it is possible to have males together. My Russian pen is appx. 25' long by appx. 10' wide and my males don't fight. The pen is over grown with weeds and they don't come into contact with each other very often. Also, there are more females than males which helps. But if your male is indoors, chances are that they WILL fight. Its a territorial thing.

How 'bout posting some pictures of of your little guy?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Have Seen Many Russian's Shell's Shiny and Ruff, It Probably All Depends
On Their Lifes Growing Up Either Inside Or Outside, And Soaks Regularly :)

Starjelly

5 Year Member
Southern ca. J
Right now I only have one tort and I think he's so cool and in thought it would be fun to get another. I heard the males will just harass the females so I thought another male would be better. Sorry I couldn't get around to posting pics I can't find my USB cord to plug my camera into.

Status
Not open for further replies.