sheldon threw up?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd and his tortoise

5 Year Member
We are the proud owners of a 3 month old sulcata. Last week we took him to the park for a picnic. We let him run around for about an hour or two for some sun and excercise. We drove home and gave him his 30 minute soaking, When i came in to check on him i noticed alot of fresh grass in the bowl and i suspected he threw up. I don't know if it was from the car ride or the grass at the park he was nibbling on? He hasn't thrown up since. What do you guys think?

Also, when do you guys soak your baby sulcta's? morning, noon or night?We have been soaking him about 30 minutes before lights out so he doesn't dry out to quickly. What do you think? Thanks.... Todd

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Todd.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience with tortoises vomiting, so I don't have any words of wisdom for you. But if he's eating and otherwise acting normally, I wouldn't worry about it. One thing to consider and you might make a phone call - does the park spray the grass with herbicides or pesticides?

I generally soak my tortoises in the a.m. when I first turn on the lights. That way they're warm and awake for food time.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! You might like to go to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself, so we can welcome you properly. :D I would warn you to be careful with letting him graze on public lands, like parks. Many of them use chemicals (weed killers, fertilizers, ect..,) on their grounds. Bad news for such a young tortoise as yours. Many folks prefer to soak early in the morning to get the tortoise warmed up, wide awake and ready for breakfast.

:D I have to stop writing posts for new folks, whenever your around Yvonne. :D You type faster then I do, so yours gets posted first and then I come in right behind you and post saying almost the exact same thing. :D

todd and his tortoise

5 Year Member
thats what i thought it might be. i was afraid maybe he got car sick. next time we go to the park we wont let him graze!!:tort: todd

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You don't have to restrict him from grazing in the park unless you find out that they use pesticides. What you do is call the county recreations/parks and ask them about it. Most times, if the park is designed for kids to play in, the parks will not use pesticides because of the kids. But, I'd ask anyway. Just find a park that you know is safe for your baby to graze, and you both will be happy.

todd and his tortoise said:
thats what i thought it might be. i was afraid maybe he got car sick. next time we go to the park we wont let him graze!!:tort: todd

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You mention you only suspect he threw up based on seeing grass in the soak..
The "pestiside" concern could still be valid but id like to suggest another possibility.
Sometimes when my young tort poops in his soak his poop breaks apart and looks like grass floating around. Since you didn't actually see the tortoise throw up i would assume it was poop..then again you saw the floating grass, i didn't.. So i simply bring this up as a possibility for you to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.