sheldo drinking water

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Nice guy!

Please, change the sand in the enclosure for a cypress mulch or orchid bark. It was already suggested in your introductory post. Redfoots *need* (require, demand, eager, whatever) high humidity in the enclosure (80-90%) and proper substrate helps with that. They are mostly forest species, it's natural for them.

Sand itself cause all sorts of troubles with tortoises - eye irritation, lethal impaction and so on. Even desert tortoises aren't kept on sand. And I see some food outside the bowl - that's how sand gets eaten and cause impaction.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm afraid you have a lot of changing to do to properly care for this guy. Please make changes ASAP. He likely is older than a year with the size of him and the pyramiding that has been done, unless you bought him as a hatchling and know his hatch month and year. Better needs to be done for him.

Morroco
Nice guy!

Please, change the sand in the enclosure for a cypress mulch or orchid bark. It was already suggested in your introductory post. Redfoots *need* (require, demand, eager, whatever) high humidity in the enclosure (80-90%) and proper substrate helps with that. They are mostly forest species, it's natural for them.

Sand itself cause all sorts of troubles with tortoises - eye irritation, lethal impaction and so on. Even desert tortoises aren't kept on sand. And I see some food outside the bowl - that's how sand gets eaten and cause impaction.
I have a question?
What kind of floor would you generally give to a turtoise (Greek).

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Usually fine grade (small pieces) orchid (fir) bark is used for the most tortoise species. It doesn't mold and hold humidity well enough. If buying from a garden center or nursery - make sure it doesn't have colorants or fertilizers. If it's made of pine bark - it should not have strong smell of a fresh pine, should smell more like a damp soil. Reptibark is one of the examples.
Next good option is cypress mulch, it holds moisture better than bark. However, a bit more messy, so I think, it's less suitable for hatchlings (it easily can get in food and water).
Third one is coco coir. It's the most messy of all and top layer gets dusty when dry.

Mixing substrates is not worth it. And if you want to put live plants in the enclosure better to put them in pots or trays.

sheldo

hawaii
Have you improved the enclosure and changed all the stuff that needs changing?
yes i have replaced his sand as many of you have requested i am now using a recommended by my friend who owns tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yes i have replaced his sand as many of you have requested i am now using a recommended by my friend who owns tortoises.
If that's all you have changed, then you are failing this poor tortoises badly, and that's neglect!!!
You know better, because you have been told and doing nothing, is neglect!!!

sheldo

hawaii
If that's all you have changed, then you are failing this poor tortoises badly, and that's neglect!!!
You know better, because you have been told and doing nothing, is neglect!!!
bro im thirteen its not like I can drive somewhere to get stuff to fix all of this and I don't have money even if I could drive.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
bro im thirteen its not like I can drive somewhere to get stuff to fix all of this and I don't have money even if I could drive.
On the information that comes up if I click on the round picture above your name, you claim to be 23 - which is correct ?
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Then maybe, if you are 13 you should have waited. If you are 23 as your profile says, then you need to do better!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I think some things do not require driving somewhere or lots of money:
1. Diet - if you have some vegetables, fruit, mushrooms, eggs in your fridge you can feed them instead of dry tortoise food. Or you can look in your yard for edible plants and leaves. It takes some time and reading what and how much to feed.
2. Make some improvements in his outdoor and indoor space - put some plants, get rid of sand (you've already done that in his indoors enclosure and that's good).
3. Do soaks in warm water to help him stay hydrated.
4. Make a covered enclosure to raise humidity.
5. Try to make more indoors space for him. It doesn't mean you need to buy super-fancy vivarium. You can DIY it, use an old bookcase and so on.
6. Read a lot on proper care for him and try to do things right and ask for workarounds or help when in doubt.

There are a lot of people on this forum who can't just "drive and buy", but they care about their tortoises' well-being and do their best to make them happy and healthy.

Please, don't take wellington's words as an offense. It's really sad to see when living being is suffering and little is done about it. You probably do not want to live 10 years in a cold bathroom, eat dirty canned food from the floor and have bath tub with full-height walls as your only source of water. Your tortoise either.

Let's try a more constructive approach:
1. Look for the suggestions given to you earlier and care sheets.
2. Think what can be changed easily (like a ramped water bowl for a clay saucer or diet) and what not (like getting right UVB lamp). And then we can suggest alternatives and work-arounds.
3. You can ask here before buying something if there are cheaper and better alternatives.

I really wish Sheldo a long and happy life. And I hope you too.