Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

momo3

5 Year Member
Hey, are baby sulcatas supposed to shed? By sulcata is shedding its skin around his head and neck?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Momo3:

107774wxb3anoags.gif

to the forum!!

Yes, its perfectly normal. Do you soak your baby at all?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Momo3! :D

How old is your little munchkin? Can you post some photos for us to drool over? Here's one way to do that: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

Let us know what your set-up is like: enclosure size, substrate, lighting, temps, diet, and you will get some valuable advice to help ensure your future ginormous pet grows up healthy and happy. ;)

momo3

5 Year Member
I actually am not new here, I was registered before and deleted my acct, I am the one that had Cletis, who we lost... I then got Chowder. Choder was hatched in December so he is about 3-4months. I am soaking him about 3 times a week. He is eating a diet of spring veggie mix with calcium d3 supplements. I posted pictures of him up in the photo part about 2 months ago. Thanks for the feedback on the shedding, I didnt really remember Cletis doing that.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I do remember Cletis. :(

And I am happy to hear young Chowder is growing and thriving! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We all wondered why you deleted your first account, and we were hoping that we didn't do or say something to offend you. Anyway...we're very glad you came back!!

momo3

5 Year Member
Yes I am back, and baby chowder is doing very very well!!! Thank you!

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
By the way,does if a baby Sulcata shed's it's skin,specially around the head and neck,does it mean that it is growing?
Thanks.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
If you read post #3 above, you'll see that Yvonne says, "Yes, its perfectly normal. Do you soak your baby at all?"

I believe what she means is that soaking your tortoise in warm water will help to loosen any shedding skin; I believe you're not supposed to pull it off or you may expose the tortoise to infection.

momo3

5 Year Member
lol Eeew... I wouldnt want to pull it off!!! Plus Ouch.. its still attached :( yes I am soaking him regularly. He is very happy, One other question that I have is, is there any suggestions to keeping the spring mix salad fresh for longer than 4-5 days. My baby doesnt nearly eat that bag and by the end of the week that I bought it I am barely half way though the bag and it is all soggy and smelly. Any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You and your family are just going to have to start eating more salads! LOL!

I have too many tortoises to feed for my greens to ever go bad in the fridge, but I've heard many folks here say that if you keep them dry they'll last longer. Also, you might try those green bags that they advertise on TV.

M

Maggie Cummings

I take the Spring Mix out of the bag/container it comes in, I put a paper towel in the bottom of a gallon sized zip lock baggie then I dry the leaves off as much as is convenient and I place the dried leaves into the baggie and close it in a way as to get out as much air as possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.