shedding 'scales' cloudy eyes on baby

Jess Rannachan

my 2 year old Hermanns has cloudy eyes and the scaly outer skin is coming off revealing smooth underskin. We recently acquired her from a private owner…she is eating and drinking but I would think she is quite blind just now….

IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1030.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of lighting are you using? If it's the coil type bulbs, stop using them, they cause eye problems. If that's not it, what kind of substrate are you using?

Jess Rannachan

What kind of lighting are you using? If it's the coil type bulbs, stop using them, they cause eye problems. If that's not it, what kind of substrate are you using?
I think the previous owners used the coil type bulb. The substrate right now is kitchen roll, as she is not moving much and I am monitering her businesses…I move her from bathing in water to lettuce which she seems to want to eat but she is not moving very much, only to get into shade…just sleeps drinks feeds and sleeps. The eyes look like they have a cloudy film on them. I am putting her out in the full sun as it is 80degrees here in CA…but she also can go into the shade.

Edwina123

It could be an eye infection or lack of vitamin A. I took my tortoise to the vet yesterday as she just came out of hibernation quite late, and her eyes wouldn't open. I bathed them with boil cooled water she had all yellow discharge in both her eyes. I have had her for over 36 years. Her eyes were very cloudy and looked white, I too thought she had gone blind. The vet reassured me she will be ok she is healthy and strong, she gave me some drops and she said the infection should clear up in a week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think there's a hopeful outlook for this little guy. (oh, and Welcome to the Forum!!)

The eyes have scar tissue on them. If caught early enough, it eventually heals. I have seen desert tortoise eyes that were touched by a frosty night, and were slightly frost bitten. The cloudiness stayed there most of the summer, but with medication and special attention (soaking and making sure he's eating) he fully recovered. Eye ointment:

6c37978d281390c9b8e4687fc3fb7c53.jpg

You can buy this at a feed store or from a vet.

Cut the baby's food up into bite sized pieces and place it up against the wall. Put the baby right in front of the food with his nose touching it. This way the food can't move away from him as he bites towards it.

Soak him daily in warm water for at least 15 minutes. If the skin doesn't start looking better, I suggest a vet visit. If that skin under the scales is raw, a light application of Neosporin might be helpful. Do you think the previous keeper had the tortoise to the vet? That skin sloughing sort of looks like what happens when a tortoise has been given an injection of vitamin A.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure to offer a nice variety of different dark, leafy greens so the baby is getting the vitamins and minerals he'll need to recover...not just lettuce.