Shed size for adult sulcattas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Elgin, South Carolina
I live in SouthCarolina and have a 9"female and I was thinking of taking in a few rescues or unwanted bigger sulcattas in need of homes. I really enjoy theses guys and have the love , the land and the climate to make it happen. I was wondering what is the smallest size I could get away with for winter sheds? In SC they would still have days to be outside in the winter, I just want to be prepared if I take in a big male that I can do it the right way. I was thinking of maybe a 16x16 and then splitting it up with different size pens on the inside. If anyone knows of a sulcatta that needs a home send me an e-mail. I am not a breeder just want to help some of these guys out, there is a ton of them out there. Jay

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think 4x4' is big enough for a single adult. This allows room for a heat mat on half the floor and still leaves room to be inside, but not on the heat. I think a 16x16 will house lots of adults. I have 4 adults and a juvenile that are quite comfy in a 4x8' box. I could easily add one more. Mine are not huge, mind you, so if you had really big ones, a bit more space might be needed. Here's my big box and how its heated:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1pTmVME2q

Here's another idea that might strike you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Daisy-s-New-Enclosure#axzz1pTmVME2q

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thing to think about is that each tortoise wants his own "corner." They love to sleep in an actual corner of the shed. So if you have more than four in a shed, you'll have to divide the shed to make more corners. All they do when they go into the shed is sleep (well, they dig and rearrange for about an hour before they settle down to sleep), so you don't need a lot of floor space. Just enough space so they don't have to touch each other.

Also, I like to have the shed tall enough that I can actually go into it to clean it out. I used to have dog house-type houses for them, and its a pain leaning over the side and reaching in. Its much easier to walk in with your broom/mop/rake and do the job.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
The thing to think about is that each tortoise wants his own "corner." They love to sleep in an actual corner of the shed. So if you have more than four in a shed, you'll have to divide the shed to make more corners. All they do when they go into the shed is sleep (well, they dig and rearrange for about an hour before they settle down to sleep), so you don't need a lot of floor space. Just enough space so they don't have to touch each other.

This made me think, if you use a round barn/shed/inside enclosure with no hide/whatever that is round, does it bother them in any way?

M

Maggie Cummings

Jacqui said:
emysemys said:

This made me think, if you use a round barn/shed/inside enclosure with no hide/whatever that is round, does it bother them in any way?

lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
maggie3fan said:
Jacqui said:
emysemys said:

lol

What can I say, some times my mind just go into weird thoughts. :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.