She hates grass! Help.

Bass.Isles

Hey y'all, isla is almost 2 years old and hates grass. I make her a salad mix out of things I grow for her in my yard (pesticide & fertilizer free, of course). Usually that consists of wandering jew, chickweed, some clover, Bermuda grass, fescue, lavender, cilantro, dandelion greens, leaves and a couple flowers from my hibiscus, and I buy organic wheatgrass to add in. She without fail, will eat everything BUT the grasses, she roots around and chomps down on the stuff she likes. I go back out and all the grasses are still in her dish, untouched. What should I do? With dog's, I have in the past taken the "tough love" approach and just kept providing the food until they are hungry enough to cave and just eat it. But I don't know what to do in this situation, with a tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Don't worry abut it. Keep doing what you are doing and in time, your tortoise will eat grass.

Try chopping up the regular greens and wetting them. Then finely chop up a very small amount of grass and mix it all up. Over time use more grass and less other stuff, but it should take weeks for this process.

It will also help if you start reducing the total quantity of food for a few days. Hunger tends to over come the pickiness. No need to eat unfamiliar or less desirable foods if you've got plenty of other stuff to eat, right? But when the good stuff gets scarce, that other stuff will do just fine.