sharing the same yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
i currently have a 4" hermmanns tortoise roaming my yard. i will soon have an 8" sulcata. i know that some people say you should never mix different species of tortoise. but i wanted to know if i could have the two of them share the yard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, no and a thousand time NO!

The sulcata would harm the smaller tortoises.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Besides different diseases possibly being transmitted, sullies while awesome tortoises can be bullies, why stress out your hermann? separate IMHO is almost always better. Especially given the size difference.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I 100% agree with the above. Is there any part of your yard that your hermanns hasn't used and block that off for your Sulcata?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Ironically, my Western Hermann's male used to bully the heck out of my subadult/adult female sulcatas when they shared the same area. My sulcatas didn't bother him. However, a male or tortoise of a different personality could have easily turned the tables on him. In any case, I separated them to avoid having him stress my females.

4" versus 8" would not represent a big issue for me, but provisions should be made for separation at some point anyway, as that size disparity will only become exacerbated over (a relatively short period of) time.

I have no problems mixing species, but everyone is free to choose their own road on that. I do wish there was less mythology around it, though.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
NO! Especially with a sulcata...there may be no problem now...but when the sulcata reaches maturity (and maybe a little earlier)...there will be nothing left of your Hermanns! Wrod of note...female sulcatas can be as aggressive as males at times.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Baoh wrote~I have no problems mixing species, but everyone is free to choose their own road on that. I do wish there was less mythology around it, though.
My Question to you: Although I am 100% in the mind of not mixing species, I am always curious about learning other peoples' viewpoints. Why do you believe there should be less mythology around it? Is there new research that suggests otherwise?

DeanS~ I 100% agree with you. One of my adult female Sulcatas is the complete opposite of my other. She is extremely dominate, rams, acts like a male completely. My other adult is sweet as can be and would never ram or have a dominate part in her body.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Saw a sales thread on a female sulcata:
my_pets_52684_1.jpg

FB:
225492_183518091701179_180873921965596_510843_2170303_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.