Shall I worry ? (soft plastron/urates??)

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
When soaking my 2 baby sulcatas, only one of them releases urates. The last time I have seen the other one release urates was months ago. He is more than a year old and his plastron is still soft. Is this normal ? And he didn't grow as well.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
One and a half year and no growth is always cause to concern, the shell being soft is another clue.

Let's start of with the temps first. Warm side? Cool side? Basking spot? And night temps?

What are their diet like? Any supplements? How are they getting uv requirements?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
pictures of the tortoises and the enclosures will be very helpful! to me it seems like they have hatchling failure syndrome this is when the tortoise is kept to dry and dehydrated, so the kidneys are not working properly.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think you need to make the sickly one his own enclosure . This way you know he is getting what he needs to thrive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When soaking my 2 baby sulcatas, only one of them releases urates. The last time I have seen the other one release urates was months ago. He is more than a year old and his plastron is still soft. Is this normal ? And he didn't grow as well.

There is no point in worrying. Just give them the best enclosure, diet and temperatures you can and hope for the best.

It is not normal for them to have a soft plastron and not grow much in their first year, but it is common when they are started too dry.

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
One and a half year and no growth is always cause to concern, the shell being soft is another clue.

Let's start of with the temps first. Warm side? Cool side? Basking spot? And night temps?

What are their diet like? Any supplements? How are they getting uv requirements?
They're kept outdoors where they have access to sun and shade. Since now temps are getting cooler (25c morning and 17-19 night) I keep them inside in small tubs to sleep at night
They eat cactus pads and hibiscus leaves (my first flower just got out yesterday, it looks nice, not sure to feed it or keep it) romaine lettuce, spring mix and aloe Vera.
They get calcium powder without d3 once every 1-2weeks

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
do they have access to water? do you soak them daily? whats there cage humidity? please answer the other questions.
I keep them outside, I soak them once every 2 days. The humidity outside is 50-80% and they don't have access to water (when they climb they flip the dish) I have a new plant saucer but not installed it yet.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would seperate them and increase the calcium supplement to once or twice a week. Maybe more for the little one with soft shell. They do need water available, so glad to hear you're working on that. Sink it into the ground so they don't have to climb to get in.

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
He's inactive and not eating now and I'm really worried :(
When I hold him he slowly opens his eyes then I put him back and he sleeps. When soaking he keeps his eyes open but does not move