Sexual RE-determination... Please confirm what I *think* I already know lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
When I adopted my original three, I was told they were a reverse trio. I am not thinking I had a trio trio all along :)

I noticed Homer mounting "Elmer" the other day - I though that it was just confusion, maybe Homer had had one too many cocktails, or something.... ;) BUT, I got curious and decided to take another look.

Here is Homer, who is definitely 100% male

KristinasPictures109.jpg

KristinasPictures110.jpg

And I am thinking Elmer might think about changing her name...

KristinasPictures108.jpg

KristinasPictures107.jpg

I know the baby is female, but I am going to have to take a closer look at those big girls... If I can get them to unclamp those dang shells!

Well, that puts me for the time being at 1.5. Holy cow. I better be getting some eggs soon....

Kristina

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yep, Elmer looks like a girl. Kind of funny, My Grandpa's name was Elmer and Grandma was Lavon.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The very first sentence - I meant *now* thinking, not *not* thinking. Jeeze.

tortoiseguy65 said:
Yep, Elmer looks like a girl. Kind of funny, My Grandpa's name was Elmer and Grandma was Lavon.

Now I need to come up with 4 female names, jeesh!

;)

Kristina

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Looks like a female to me too Kristina :D

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Homer has a harem. LOL

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Unfortunately, living the dream isn't always all it's cracked up to be. He may choose to ignore certain females, your putting all your eggs :)rolleyes::p:D) into one basket with the basket either being too "weak" to hold up to the usage or what if your basket has an unexpected hole in it (fertility issues of his own), plus lack of competition can have drawbacks. Would very strongly urgue you to actively find another male and get started on his quarantine period as soon as possible.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
He hasn't been ignoring the females so far. In fact, last night about 1 AM my husband and I were laying in bed chatting when we started to hear Homer's characteristic wheeze.... We cracked up laughing.

I do hope to get another male, but it is going to have to wait at least a month. I need to concentrate on the tortoises I already have before I pick up more.

I originally intended on breeding Homer's daughters to Elmer, and vice versa.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Don't put to much pressure on the poor fellow, or he may need sone "help"

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
kyryah said:
He hasn't been ignoring the females so far. In fact, last night about 1 AM my husband and I were laying in bed chatting when we started to hear Homer's characteristic wheeze.... We cracked up laughing.

They are quite loud aren't they? :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
kyryah said:
You have no idea the jokes that Homer's wheezing has spawned between David and I....

You might be surprised. :D Add into the mix I have four children who have been known to make comments too. :rolleyes:

It also seems like they have some bad timing:

...like just as we are sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner with non turtle family members.

...when my very proper Aunt and Uncle visited. They were from the age where sex was not spoken about and married couples had seperate bedrooms. I think your getting the picture. :D

...when the repairman came to work on the wall heater in the same room with them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My 9 year old daughter - "What in the world is he doing?"

Me - "He wants her to lay eggs and have babies."

Well, it wasn't a LIE....

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was a little more straight forward with my children, they were told they were breeding. That soon was turned by them into the term they were having sex. Then came the day we went to the zoo. Wouldn't you know it, the tortoises were breeding and you could hear it all over the building. Somebody in the crowd asked what the noise was. Of course one of my kids had to very loudly pipe up, that it was tortoises sex going on. :rolleyes:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
HA! OMG, that is the funniest thing EVER. I love the horrified looks my kids get from adults, even at the petstore, when they start causally talking about feeding the snakes. Too funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.