HUGE new Hingeback girls, Russians in the sun, and new outdoor Hingie enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I got my new Home's Hingeback girls yesterday. These girls are MASSIVE. They are definitely ADULT Hingebacks, and have got to be the oldest ones I have ever seen. They are definitely Homes, but even their coloration is different than any others I have seen.

Girlie #1

KristinasPictures039.jpg

KristinasPictures040.jpg

KristinasPictures041.jpg

KristinasPictures043.jpg

Right after their post shipping soak, enjoying a meal

KristinasPictures044.jpg

Compared to one of my original 3. Keep in mind that the originals have been breeding, and I got two eggs from Maude last fall.

KristinasPictures048.jpg

New outdoor enclosure. This is pretty much done, I still have some spiffying up to do and a couple Hostas and an Ostrich fern to plant. Right in front of the log on the left side, I will be cutting a hole in the shed wall and building a heated nighttime hide inside the shed.

KristinasPictures085.jpg

KristinasPictures086.jpg

KristinasPictures087.jpg

KristinasPictures088.jpg

KristinasPictures091.jpg

Log hides

KristinasPictures092.jpg

KristinasPictures093.jpg

The "pond" is a cement tub sunk down into the ground. There are rocks built up around and inside to allow them to climb in and out, and I made it shallower by filling some of the depth with pea gravel. I am actually going to add a filter and a small water fall in the back right corner.

The whole enclosure is located in between my house and my shed, and built up on a slab. The dirt was placed 8" deep on top of the slab and there are bricks in the front and back stacked to retain the dirt and allow for drainage, so that I can keep it moist and yet not soggy. I will be mounting a sprinkler in the front part aimed to water the entire thing, and I can turn it on every morning to allow for a rainfall period. They are most active right after I spray them indoors in the morning. This enclosure will house Homer, Maude, and eventually the two large new girls. Elmer and the baby will have a seperate enclosure. That way I can keep track of parents and breed Homer's daughters to Elmer and vice versa.

On to the Russians...

We had some nice days last week so they got to go outside and play. Such cute little buggers!!!

KristinasPictures070.jpg

KristinasPictures069.jpg

KristinasPictures068.jpg

KristinasPictures067.jpg

KristinasPictures066.jpg

Some indoor pics too.

Three little Russians sleeping all in a row

KristinasPictures050.jpg

I wish this little girl had kept her eyes closed. She slept propped up like this on another tort for like an hour..

KristinasPictures046.jpg

Is that you mom?

KristinasPictures045.jpg

KristinasPictures037.jpg

KristinasPictures036.jpg

Something horrible happened here the other day, I am surprised you guys didn't hear about it on the news.

backgroundstep1.jpg

It's pretty sad when you can't even go grocery shopping without being chased by Tortugra, the giant radioactive tort!

Kristina

M

Maggie Cummings

Great pictures and your enclosure is really nice. I wish I had a spot like that...between houses I mean...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thank you. It actually worked really well in that spot. It gets light but no direct sun, so perfect for the forest torts. I think the other Hingeback enclosure will be under my porch awning, and the Russians are going to be on the other side of the shed from this Hingeback enclosure.

Kristina

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Love the enclosure for your hingebacks! Very nice :)
Your Russians are SO gorgeous!!! I can't wait until Nelson is full-grown :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Love your new Hingebacks. Very nice looking and you're right they are big. Nice shells though. I always amazes me how Hingebacks can mate since their shell drops down so far it doesn't look like there would be any place for the male to put, well you know. :p You have a lot of Russians. They look like they get along just fine sleeping on each other like that. The last picture is very funny good job at posting that. :D

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know too much about hingebacks, BUT that enclosure looks great for them!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

Well Candy, it is actually quite interesting when they mate, lol. The male has to stand almost vertically and the female does have to raise the back of her shell a bit. I have one picture but it isn't very high quality.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/kyryah/Homes Hingeback Tortoises/KristinasPictures049.jpg

I love my little Russians, they are so cute. It got up over 70 today so the tort kids got to go outside and play. The Hinges really seemed to love their new enclosure, and were in and out of the pool and climbing all over the place. It was awesome. I wish I would have been able to take pics but I had to go to work, so another time :(

My husband is such a great man, he brings them in for me at night when I have to work.

Kristina

S

Scooter

You have beautiful hingebacks and their enclosure is great!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, ooohhh and aaahhhh, I must say! Those are some cool digs and I love the furniture! ;)

Hingebacks...I get it now! Their butts look like they're "closed"...I won't even speculate on how often the males end up on their backs as a consequence of that "ultimate thrill" seeking behavior! :rolleyes:

What a great microclimate and habitat for your torts! No wonder they all look so happy, even while sleeping...:p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kristina your enclosure is unbelievable! All your torts are beautiful, and I know they will be so happy in that enclosure. What are those logs you are using for hides? Did you have to hollow them out or did you get them that way. I love them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

Now I just gotta get the Russian pen done - not that it matters at this point, it is still too cold at night for them to stay out, so they have just been utilizing the "playpen." I have a month or so to get it finished.

Kristina

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very nice and very pretty! :) Do you have a lip or a lid on the Hingeback enclosure? They love to climb and are very good at it. I have a male Homes who could climb that gate with ease.;) Love the logs you found for the hides!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
kyryah said:

Well Candy, it is actually quite interesting when they mate, lol. The male has to stand almost vertically and the female does have to raise the back of her shell a bit. I have one picture but it isn't very high quality.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/kyryah/Homes Hingeback Tortoises/KristinasPictures049.jpg

I love my little Russians, they are so cute. It got up over 70 today so the tort kids got to go outside and play. The Hinges really seemed to love their new enclosure, and were in and out of the pool and climbing all over the place. It was awesome. I wish I would have been able to take pics but I had to go to work, so another time :(

My husband is such a great man, he brings them in for me at night when I have to work.

Kristina

Having a "tail" bigger than his left leg helps!!!
36_12_6.gif

NERD

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The gates on the enclosure are 7' tall, and there is a lip around the top. The roof of my house and the roof of the shed extend part way over on each side. I have seen Homer climb - they are funny little monkeys with those long, long legs!!

And as Terry said, the tails on the males ARE bigger than their legs, hee hee hee!

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.