Sexing my sulcata

jason1982

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Ohio
I was wanting to get some help sexing my sulcata thanks in advanceIMG_0825.JPGIMG_0824.JPGIMG_0820.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually you can tell male from female by the direction the anal scutes point. Outward for male, straight back or inward for female. And then, every so often, there comes along one that defies this rule. Your sulcata has a small female tail, however the anal scutes point outward, meaning male. You may just have to wait until he flashes you. We might be able to tell by the size of the gular too. Can we get a head shot showing the part of the shell he rests his chin on (gular).

jason1982

Eastern Ohio
Yvonne G said:
Usually you can tell male from female by the direction the anal scutes point. Outward for male, straight back or inward for female. And then, every so often, there comes along one that defies this rule. Your sulcata has a small female tail, however the anal scutes point outward, meaning male. You may just have to wait until he flashes you. We might be able to tell by the size of the gular too. Can we get a head shot showing the part of the shell he rests his chin on (gular).

Here is the gular pic..IMG_0826.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm gonna' have to say female.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This tortoise is still too young to sex. They all look female-ish when they are young. The tail is looking a bit long to me already, but that could be just the perspective from the photos.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Im not an expert but by the look of the short tail and the lack of a concave plastron i would say female. I think its getting big enough it would start to develop a little concaveness by now. But i could be wrong.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
What's her scl? What is her plastron measuring? A lot of us has experienced the, "I think she's female," then by 10-11 inches...bam something changes.

argus333

5 Year Member
ya i had a female that is now a male right at 10.5 inches.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would lean toward male because of the anal scute shape. The tail length and plastron can change drastically after 16 inches is reached.