Severe Dilemma (get 2 and place 1??)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Hi Tort Forum.
I'm having some issues today.
So, in Anaheim, there is a breeding pair of sullies. I was very excited because the man who inherited them isn't a tortoise person and is adopting them out for $100. I asked if he'd let 'em go separately but he won't go for it. Now, I'm totally up for two, but not for a male and female. As you may know, I have a few young ones already and I'm anticipating when they get big and begin to reproduce. I'm anticipating babies, just not for a few more years. (My little guys are under a year old).

So I'm thinking, if I take them both in, would someone on here consider taking in the other one? They're heathly for all I know, very slight pryamiding, etc. I'm not sure yet, I just would like to see how many people would go for it. I'm in Los Angeles. Any ideas would be awesome.

Thank you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: Severe Dilemma

If you want to get rid of the male, I would think you would have a fairly easy time to adopt him out for free. If it's the female who you don't want, those can usually be sold fairly easily it seems.

edwardbo

5 Year Member

Hello, tif, why are you entertaining the idea of only one? I'm getting a sense of trouble here , take it from wisdom it's easy to get overwhelmed with the idea of pets it's another to be responsible for the day to day duty ,if you can do one you can do 2 .no offense, I've read That these are big powerful animals with a penchant for escape ,plowing over fences and such.love ya be careful.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Severe Dilemma

edwardbo said:
Hello, tif, why are you entertaining the idea of only one? I'm getting a sense of trouble here , take it from wisdom it's easy to get overwhelmed with the idea of pets it's another to be responsible for the day to day duty ,if you can do one you can do 2 .no offense, I've read That these are big powerful animals with a penchant for escape ,plowing over fences and such.love ya be careful.

They're both sexually mature, and I'm a few years away from housing a bunch of babies.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

If they did produce eggs, you would not have to hatch them out. Of course they would need to be each in their own area, which also might cut down on egg numbers until your ready to try having eggs hatching (if that is your plan).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Can you post some pics?

Which one do you want to keep and are you SURE of the sexes? Many times a dominant male will hump a less dominant male and many people mistakenly think that makes it a female. Have you seen the tails and plastrons of both.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Tom said:
Can you post some pics?

Which one do you want to keep and are you SURE of the sexes? Many times a dominant male will hump a less dominant male and many people mistakenly think that makes it a female. Have you seen the tails and plastrons of both.

That's a good point too.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Severe Dilemma

Tom said:
Can you post some pics?

I'm 99% sure. One has a concaved plasteron. I only have a picture of them both, if I were to, I believe Cowboy_Ken is willing to take the female. My little guys will all be separated in a year or so.

Here y'all go.

Attachments

• 1385509005555.jpg
    1385509005555.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 62