Serial rapist

bedia

5 Year Member
Hi guys, my old boy -Hermanii Chris guessed him to be "way up there"- has turned into a serial rapist and tries to mate with male or female all torts that he sees. Even young ones like this young beauty.
I move him to the other part of the garden when I see him pestering others, but he gets to them when they are eating... He really won't stop!!
I don't usually meddle with their affairs but I am worried this is causing too much stress.

What do you suggest?

Bedia

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409643582.101889.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409643627.080355.jpg

Bedia Gucum Bilgen
Torts, cats and a 4 year old son :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You may need to add a bunch more sight barriers or remove him and give him his own space. Specially if he is mounting and pestering those that are too young and other males. It could cause some bad fighting and injury.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Try adding more plants

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

bedia

5 Year Member
Hi, we have very big walled garden, about an acre of wild grass and bush area for them. He is being a pest in about 2 acres!!! 2 acres and 5 torts... Visual barriers are not an issue, usually there are days when I don't even see them. Could it be the end of summer frenzy?

Bedia Gucum Bilgen

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You have so much room! Just separate him. Build a barrier and give him his own territory. You can give him a conjugal visit in the spring if you want to breed them. Don't wait till one gets seriously hurt.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
he gets to them when they are eating

Okay so this one made me laugh out loud really hard, woke the dog up even.....lol

I am with Tom on this, there should be some relief offered for all parties involved....the attacker and the victims each need some relax time, a cool off zone for the molester would likely be a beneficial situation....

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
The older they get, the worse they get, kind of like it is with human males. I have a male Greek who is up there as well, and I can't put him with anyone given what a huge jerk he is. Separate him. You can reintroduce him occasionally so that he can show what a dominant man beast he is, then remove him before he causes any trouble. It will really get his blood running when you do this, and it will certainly alleviate boredom. I have an old tortoise shell that a family member gave me from his trips to Morocco (a misguided gift, to be sure, but you can't choose family, even if they are insensitive idiots), and I occasionally place it in Graecus' enclosure as a punching bag. When I remove the shell, he goes into patrol mode and circles his enclosure fifty times, thinking he'll find his opponent around the next corner. He is a mean machine, and he too wouldn't be discouraged by any sight barrier. Fighting is hardwired into some of these Greeks. Probably why they've been such a successful species, historically.

T.G.

bedia

5 Year Member
Right then... Off to building a smaller walled garden... Will do my best since I will be going away for 2 weeks. I don't usually name them but this guy is going to be Alexander the Great from now on...
Really pissed at him for ruining the peace in our garden!

Bedia Gucum Bilgen

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
The older they get, the worse they get, kind of like it is with human males. I have a male Greek who is up there as well, and I can't put him with anyone given what a huge jerk he is. Separate him. You can reintroduce him occasionally so that he can show what a dominant man beast he is, then remove him before he causes any trouble. It will really get his blood running when you do this, and it will certainly alleviate boredom. I have an old tortoise shell that a family member gave me from his trips to Morocco (a misguided gift, to be sure, but you can't choose family, even if they are insensitive idiots), and I occasionally place it in Graecus' enclosure as a punching bag. When I remove the shell, he goes into patrol mode and circles his enclosure fifty times, thinking he'll find his opponent around the next corner. He is a mean machine, and he too wouldn't be discouraged by any sight barrier. Fighting is hardwired into some of these Greeks. Probably why they've been such a successful species, historically.

T.G.

Flashbacks of Super Mario Brothers are racing through my mind!

bedia

5 Year Member
My father in law is Atilla... I think it might be tad too much... :))

Bedia Gucum Bilgen

bedia

5 Year Member
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Serial-rapist.100236/#post-942195
My father in law is called Atilla is what I meant :))
By the way... No make shift enclosure is stopping Alexander... A friend went over to check on them. He has flattened one side of his enclosure and is back doing his thing. The girls will have to fend for themselves until I get back on saturday :/. Hope no serious injuries before then....

Bedia Gucum Bilgen