Seed Mix. DIY and Purchased...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I ordered the Southern Seed mix from Sulcatafood.com and tonight will be day 4 since I planted. I planted it in our outdoor enclosure (top off as well as shade area for this photo) and two cheap plastic containers that I will rotate in and out of the indoor enclosure as well. As you can see it is growing FAST.

I have yet to see if our 5 week old Sulcata loves it (I cannot imagine he/she wouldn't) but am already wondering if I can create something like this (seed mix) myself. Not to sell, just to cut costs.

Does anyone have the best idea on where to get these seed mixes? I fear the hardware stores would be too expensive and not yield a big variety of seeds to choose from.

Thanks for the help!

Dawn

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I went out in the fields once some plants were "ripe" and started gathering seeds. Dandelions, thistle etc. are really easy to gather, but poppy as well! Sometimes I have to wait a few days for a certain plant to be done, but it's been going pretty well so far. Just in case I'm taking my book about european plants with me, so as to be sure that I'm not gathering unwanted stuff.

Warning: If you gather too many poppy seeds people may start to think that you're using them for illegal stuff ;)
I was looked at pretty strangely when people saw me sitting in the field gathering seeds... xD

Otherwise you could buy seeds the first year or two and always leave a good amount of flowers which will then produce seeds. Then you won't need to buy seeds in the following years. :)

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
peasinapod said:
Warning: If you gather too many poppy seeds people may start to think that you're using them for illegal stuff ;)
I was looked at pretty strangely when people saw me sitting in the field gathering seeds... xD

Can they eat poppies? I know someone with poppies and they have very pretty flowers but I wondered if it's okay for tortoises to eat the leaves and/or flowers without getting any weird side effects if you know what I mean

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
You always read different things, and not all poppies are as suited. I only feed field poppies (Papaver rhoeas) as a part of a varied diet. I know a lot of people who have been feeding it for a very long time without problems.

Although I wouldn't feed the seed pots, especially the ripe ones. Furthermore it might be different for sulcatas, maybe someone else can prove or disprove what I said. I do not know how easy it would be to gather seeds from different grasses, but you could try. And grasses do tend to spread a lot once you have planted them. ;)

hallie02

5 Year Member
I don't know what I'm doing but what is this bump on my tortoise leg Russian tort and it's a boy got him the7 of August ImageUploadedByTortForum1376012580.474335.jpg

From hallie02

Last edited by a moderator:

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
hallie02 said:
I don't know what I'm doing but what is this bump on my tortoise leg Russian tort and it's a boy got him the7 of August

From hallie02

Maybe you should make a thread and some of the members could give you an opinion until you can take your tortoise to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.