seed duds or my flub?

Jazenami

I still only have 1 sprout (wel like 4 now in that one jar) in my testudo mix on day 5 counting planting day as day 1. Does that mean the rest are duds? The one that sprouted is in seed starter mix, the restrest are in 50/50 potting soil seed starter. Will the rest just take longer or not at all? I did that seed starter jar as an experiment. Good thing I did!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
How moist is the soil? In my experience, reasons they wouldn't pop is either the seeds dried out or they haven't hit their emerging temperature. Also, some seeds definitely require light to germinate so if they were buried under a thick layer of soil, that could be the case as well. Got a picture?

Jazenami

pfara said:
How moist is the soil? In my experience, reasons they wouldn't pop is either the seeds dried out or they haven't hit their emerging temperature. Also, some seeds definitely require light to germinate so if they were buried under a thick layer of soil, that could be the case as well. Got a picture?

Dried out? That might be the case. The baby food jars hold moisture better than the jiffy pots. I have watered them this morning I guess I will have to just wait!

Attachments

• 20140305_084056.jpg
    20140305_084056.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20140305_084043.jpg
    20140305_084043.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20140305_083508.jpg
    20140305_083508.jpg
    817.9 KB · Views: 29

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Tortoisesupply's testudo mix with some grass seed (in the black circular containers). Two are on day 6, one at day 4 and the two that are covered were started yesterday. A few seeds in the covered one's are starting to sprout tap roots.

Keep them soaking wet until the tap roots emerge. You don't have to worry about damping off or root rot until they have roots.

Oh and I've never really liked those egg carton jiffy things. I tried it once and didn't get the best germination rates from it. I guess I'm just used to growing in plastic containers and I'm dependent on how see-through they are (I can see how big the roots are and how dry the soil is).

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
Ive been having some trouble growing in those 'jiffy pots' too. we have them outside on the back deck (about 75% of the day they get sun) and im having to water them about twice a day (i water until the pot itself is wet) and the only thing that seems to like to grow in them is flower seeds none of the greens i planted in them have sprouted. so im just going to leave them a few more days and if nothing happens im just going to re-plant them with the flowers

Jazenami

DayDreamer said:
Ive been having some trouble growing in those 'jiffy pots' too. we have them outside on the back deck (about 75% of the day they get sun) and im having to water them about twice a day (i water until the pot itself is wet) and the only thing that seems to like to grow in them is flower seeds none of the greens i planted in them have sprouted. so im just going to leave them a few more days and if nothing happens im just going to re-plant them with the flowers

Ugh! At least they weren't *that* expensive. For some crappy cardboard they were expensive but oh well $6 lost..
I am going to leave mine another day or so as I have spotted one very small sprout in one of the pots so maybe there is hope yet. I have watered them twice today already and will probably do a third before bed. They dry so quick.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have my best luck in plastic or glass containers that can be kept wet and warm. Most of my seeds will sprout quickly. It's growing a big healthy plant I struggle with. I'm not sure why...still learning though lol.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
hmm i might try plastic would be easy to just cut milk jugs and use those lol.

yeah we got lucky and our jiffy pots were only 99 cents on sale in kmart so not a horrible loss other then the seeds that might be wasted. let me know if you get yours growing in them maybe just watering them more does the trick?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have little plastic containers all over my kitchen with various sprouts and seeds starting in them. I really need to buy one of those greenhouses I keep seeing here on the forum.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Jazenami

Elohi said:
I have little plastic containers all over my kitchen with various sprouts and seeds starting in them. I really need to buy one of those greenhouses I keep seeing here on the forum.

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

I got mine at Wal-Mart and you can buy them on Amazon too.
If they were all in glass and plastic I have a feeling I'd have a lot more little plants. :(
I'll keep you guys updated.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Most of my containers are water bottles. I just cut drainage holes at the bottom. It's cheap and pretty useful.