Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've read posts about "sedum" several times, so I decided to look into it. I found there are a lot of different types. I found this type at Home Depot. I've repotted it and I'm already getting new growth. Is this variety safe to feed to my torts? Assuming I wait a couple of months and feed only the new growth, of course.
4hfnmp.jpg

s5zmlt.jpg

zx0f13.jpg

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Looks like Burros Tail to me, there are so many Sedums...I can't find it on any of the lists though. It'll be interesting to see what others know!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Yvonne. That's what's confusing me. I've heard several mentions of edible sedum, but I'm having a hard time fining exactly which ones are or aren't. I haven't found them on my usual lists and google searches don't really talk about toxicity or not. Mine is definitely different than the one in the pic from post #4.

S

stells

This is another one i wouldn't feed... but there isn't much info about it for tortoises... all i am going by is it is known to cause stomach irritation if injested and skin irritation from the sap... this is of course to humans...

It is different to the one in post 4 on the thread... that is sedum acre... also toxic...

The one i feed the most and find more readily is Sedum spectabile also known as Iceplant... my tortoises love it and eat it down to the ground... there are plenty more that are edible too...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nay said:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?mode=az&l=z

How about this one here? Look further into the sedum pic, not the one first.
Looks kinda like it?
Na

Ugh... so confusing. It shows Ice Plant, but calls it hottentot fig. Then it shows "their" ice plant, but its totally different than ours. I saw the one you are referring to. Its kind of blurry and out of focus behind the flowers.

I think I'll hold off on feeding any and just let it grow until it flowers. Maybe next spring. If I can get a really sure answer one way or the other, maybe I'll reconsider.

Thanks Nay. That's a good site to save. Its in my toolbar now.

stells said:
This is another one i wouldn't feed... but there isn't much info about it for tortoises... all i am going by is it is known to cause stomach irritation if injested and skin irritation from the sap... this is of course to humans...

It is different to the one in post 4 on the thread... that is sedum acre... also toxic...

The one i feed the most and find more readily is Sedum spectabile also known as Iceplant... my tortoises love it and eat it down to the ground... there are plenty more that are edible too...

Thank you Kelly. I'll look around and see if I can find the S. spectabile.

Status
Not open for further replies.