Scutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
What causes the scutes to separate? I have a male Russian Tortoise not sure of his age I have owned him 9 months now he was purchased at Pet Co. His enclosure is a bookcase turned into a tortoise table its 6 foot by 2 1/2 foot. He eats a varity of greens, I mix TNT and Calcium with vitamin D3 in his shredded carrots twice a week. I use Eco earth as his substrate. He has a walk in water dish and I soak him twice a week. He has a basking spot 85 to 90 degreese a long UVB bulb in the middle of the enclosure and at night a infrared heat lamp on the basking side of the enclosure. View attachment 14939View attachment 14940

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Pam:

That's how the shell grows. The scutes you see at the moment will never change. However, a new ring will be added around the outside of that scute as the tortoise grows. You can't tell age by counting the rings, because they grow erratically. If you start to see very wide and yellow growth rings, its because he's getting too much food and not enough sunlight. You'll never see that type of growth on a Russian tortoise that is kept outside. I'm not a big fan of the fluorescent UV tubes for the "desert" type tortoises. I feel the MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulbs) are much better (and quite a bit more expensive). With an MVB you have no need for the heat bulb because it is heat and UV all in one fixture.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like normal new growth to me, and I agree with what Yvonne says about the wide growth rings...

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I will try the MVB Bulb thank you for the quick response :)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
emysemys said:
Hi Pam:

That's how the shell grows. The scutes you see at the moment will never change. However, a new ring will be added around the outside of that scute as the tortoise grows. You can't tell age by counting the rings, because they grow erratically. If you start to see very wide and yellow growth rings, its because he's getting too much food and not enough sunlight. You'll never see that type of growth on a Russian tortoise that is kept outside. I'm not a big fan of the fluorescent UV tubes for the "desert" type tortoises. I feel the MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulbs) are much better (and quite a bit more expensive). With an MVB you have no need for the heat bulb because it is heat and UV all in one fixture.
just wondering, if the amount of sunlight were upped in case like this would the amount of food still need to be reduced? I am only asking because reading this made me wonder :)

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
should i get the 100 or 160 watt MVB bulb?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
pam said:
should i get the 100 or 160 watt MVB bulb?

The 100 is probably fine. Also want to remind you though that you would still need heat for night time as the MVB should go off for darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.