"Scud" Before and After

Status
Not open for further replies.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Someone posted a pic today of a Redfoot and was concerned about white spots on the shell. I explained that it was called(Scud) and it is easily treated with antifungal cream(athletes foot cream, jock itch cream). It is believed to be caused from the soil and is not life threatening.
Attached is a picture of a Redfoot that hatched out of the ground here in S Fl. a few weeks ago. As you can see, the shell looks horrible.
Here is the same tortoise after only 2 treatments with athletes foot cream.
I am not sure which order the pics will show up in the post, but it's obvious which one is the before and which one is the after.
:)
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    815.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    634.2 KB · Views: 142

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Wow, what a difference. Thanks for the information. Caused from the soil is interesting. This should help folks with this concern. : )

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Well, there is no science involved. Just opinions from tortoise breeders in S Florida, like me.
As a matter of fact, when I build hatchling rearing pens, I layer it with commercial topsoil(no fertilizer) and they never get scud.

I definitely think it's something in the soil.
Just my humble 2 cents.
:)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Moving to FL in the next year hopefully.
Do you think I will have to worry about my now 2 year old RF's getting a fungal infection from the ground down there?

Ann from CT

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Ann, I can't say for sure if they will get scud or not. Some of my tortoises never get it, and some do. Like I said, its very manageable so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

What part of Fl are you moving to?

Status
Not open for further replies.