Scratching

Annm184

Hi,
I've only had my tortoise a few days and want to make sure everything is ok. So it seems to want to scratch it's way out of the wooden pen a lot. Is this normal or is it unhappy?

Thanks

Ann

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises are very territorial. Yours has been removed from his own territory and put into a new an unfamiliar territory. It is normal and natural for them to try to escape this new foreign land and try to get back "home". In time your tortoise will accept this new area as its territory.

It could also be that the temperature in your enclosure is not to his liking. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? What equipment are you using to achieve these temps?

Are you using a UV bulb? Is it a coil type cfl? Those sometimes burn their eyes. This could be your issue too.

What species have you got? How large is the enclosure? Where are you?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Kindly note that torts take very long to adapt to a new place, home, enclosure, environment, and the rest,so please be patient.;) How about posting pictures of your tort as well as its enclosure so as to enable us to help you more. Good luck!:)

Annm184

Thanks for coming back to me. I have a horsefield and its and is 12-18months. I am based in Scotland. I will post a picture of its enclosure to show u! It has a area for bed and seems happy there. There is a warmer area at top right and baskin area bottom right. It's cooler area and hideaway is top left. The bulb I have is a solar glow again I will attach a picture.

Thanks

Ann

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ann, and welcome to the Forum!

I love the picture of your baby. He's just as cute as can be!! Do you see how all the sand/substrate sticks to him? It also sticks to the food when he walks through the food dish. This is why it's not a good substrate. If he eats too much sand it will eventually build up inside his system and he'll become blocked or impacted. I like to use orchid bark. You can find it at plant nurseries. Quite a few folks here also like to use coco coir. You should be able to find that at pet stores.

Annm184

Hi guys thanks for the advice! I will pick up some orchard bark today for him and some thermometers to check the heat! He is a little cutie isn't he! Just want to make him sooo happy. Do u have any other tips or advice in general? Ann

turdle yerdle

IL
Hi guys thanks for the advice! I will pick up some orchard bark today for him and some thermometers to check the heat! He is a little cutie isn't he! Just want to make him sooo happy. Do u have any other tips or advice in general? Ann
You should get plants, and some dirt or coco fiber

Annm184

What kind of plants would be best? He hasn't moved out of the cool corner all day today .

turdle yerdle

IL
What kind of plants would be best? He hasn't moved out of the cool corner all day today .
It depends, some tortoises devour certain plants. You can get different types of grasses, fake plants, Palm, or pothos for shade. It's you and your tortoises preference. Also, I love your rocks that have words on them, what a nice touch;). I think I know why he is trying to escape : / It's because the rock that says escape is telling him to.:eek::D