scorpion

Status
Not open for further replies.

helenab

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. Well I never seen a scorpion here in Arizona but got bite by one today. Anyway, do scorpions bite torts? And if so are there any bad effects? If I can get bit in my backyard then just asking because mine would be running around back there.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I had a pretty bad infestation at my old house. The scorpions hung out in the same areas the tortoises did. Didn't have a problem, but I don't know if they just aren't harmful or if the scorpions just left them alone. Congratulations by the way! :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you alright? We have the little buggers here (I have only seen two, but that is enough) but not too many, I bet that there is a co-habitation that goes on between them and the torts....as with other critters and torts.... :D

Sorry you got bit...that I am sure hurt... :(

helenab

5 Year Member
Neal said:
I had a pretty bad infestation at my old house. The scorpions hung out in the same areas the tortoises did. Didn't have a problem, but I don't know if they just aren't harmful or if the scorpions just left them alone. Congratulations by the way! :p

Congrads on being bit? Guess I am a now offically a Arizonian? lol I would have been so worried about the torts.

ascott said:
Are you alright? We have the little buggers here (I have only seen two, but that is enough) but not too many, I bet that there is a co-habitation that goes on between them and the torts....as with other critters and torts.... :D

Sorry you got bit...that I am sure hurt... :(

yes I am fine it did hurt and still is, whole body is hurting, Mike took me to a urgent care and the doc said this would happen, not liking it at all. But will be better in about 24 hours. thank you so much for asking. I am sure they dont bother each other (well I was not bothering this one either), but say if the tort was moving over the scorpion and it bit its leg, guess i am just worried now.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Oh...I am so sorry. You must have a different type in Arizon. The ones in San Diego are not that bad. I hope you feel better soon.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I just recently confirmed that scorpions are very deadly to tortoises. Not me personally, but in talking with my vet. He had a large leopard tortoise on a ventilator that had been stung by a scorpion...this tortoise made it through, but they can cause seizures and twitching along with death. Be careful out there!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Diatamaceous earth is supposed to kill scorpions, as well as ants. Just FYI

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh great...another worry.....:(
Black widows
Scorpions
rattlesnakes
Eeeek......

Joy, Thanks for the info:D I wonder if that stuff will off blackwidows too?????? Hmmmm:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The world is certainly filled with potential danger for both us and our shelled friends. Glad your okay, hope the pain goes away faster then 24 hrs.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ascott said:
Black widows
Scorpions
rattlesnakes
Eeeek......

Joy, Thanks for the info:D I wonder if that stuff will off blackwidows too?????? Hmmmm:D

Angela, I am not sure about that. The DE works on insects with shells (exoskeletons) on their body. Not familiar with the science of black widows. I sure hate them too. Don't have a problem now, but have in the past. I used to take a match to the eggs to destroy them. The eggs look like little balls of styrofoam, smaller than the size of a pea.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would do the match thing but I am so paranoid about starting a fire and I live in the desert where right now there is so much fuel.....there was a crazy fire down the road from us...but our fire depts are so awesome...I do have this spray adhesive and I came across an egg sac that just broke...so ran in the house grabbed my can and got em....frozen in time (well glue anyways) I am sure a few got away when I made the dash and back from the house....my son and I went on a hunt night before last and got 6 of em....

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ascott said:
I would do the match thing but I am so paranoid about starting a fire and I live in the desert where right now there is so much fuel.....there was a crazy fire down the road from us...but our fire depts are so awesome...I do have this spray adhesive and I came across an egg sac that just broke...so ran in the house grabbed my can and got em....frozen in time (well glue anyways) I am sure a few got away when I made the dash and back from the house....my son and I went on a hunt night before last and got 6 of em....

Yeah you can't be too careful with fire. I was burning some in the window of my garage with a match and burned a hole in the screen. Now that wasn't too smart, haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you know which type stung you? Bark or Desert Hairy? Just curious. I hope you are okay. Technically we do have them here, but I've never seen a one in 15 years.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I lost a young blue-tongued skink to a scorpion a few months ago. I could not figure out what happened at first. I just found him dead in his enclosure one morning. I had never had a BTS die before, and there was absolutely no sign of anything wrong with him. It wasn't until I was cleaning out the enclosure that I found the scorpion under the water bowl. Having been stung myself, I know how strong their sting is. I was stung on the wrist and my whole arm hurt up to my shoulder for 2 days.

I'm sure that a scorpion would not pursue a tortoise aggressively, it would just be if the tortoise inadvertently stepped on, or foolishly tried to taste a scorpion that it would sting in self defense.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
ascott said:
Black widows
Scorpions
rattlesnakes
Eeeek......

Speaking of rattlesnakes, I've seen Desert Tortoises sharing burrows with rattlesnakes harmoniously. I guess the same can't be said for scorpions.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I've never seen a scorpion in the wild. I would love to though! It's crazy how you guys talk about infestations when I bought one at a reptile show for $20 :):) Are you guys coming across Hadrurus sp.? If so they are worth like $20!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
According to Google we have some 40 species or so of scorpions in AZ. We can see them any time we want to really lol, just go out in the backyard with a black light. I wouldn't recommend it though if you want to sleep better at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.