SCL, Weight etc. Data Request For K.erosa

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Trying to collect data for this species to derive some sort of rough idea of weight to SCL ratio. However, due to the varying shape of this species-some are much flatter than others-, I would appreciate some more info as well. So if people could please send me:
Weight:
SCL:
Vertical height:
Width-measured across the plastron at the widest point:
If you know the locality, could you let me know this as well please.
Ideally in grams, and cm, but no problem if they aren't.
Please only submit data for healthy individuals, and ones which have been captive for at least 6 months-to allow acclimatization.
Thank you.
@Jacqui @tortadise @juli11 @Benjamin @Will @Redfoot NERD @turtlemanfla88

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Will be tomorrow (hopefully) before I can get you this data. But no problem. May I ask for what purpose are you inquiring this info for?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Just to get a rough idea of a weight to SCL graph to help keepers out, as obviously a lot of these guys when imported arrive severely underweight-dehydration, worms etc.-. I will collect the data together, sort it, and make a graph showing the correlation-and if possible, maybe a rough formula-, and post it on here, and other forums where hingeback keepers are active. The formula I came up for above seems to roughly work for nogueyi as well, although they're results are slightly lower-more in the 2.0-2.3 range.
And of course, anyone who submits data will be noted if I do manage to create a correlation line for this.

Also Kelly, if you could please take some data for the younger ones that would be great too as I don't have any data atm for any tortoises under 12cm.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Sorry don't keep Erosa anymore

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I did an elaborate data collection scheme for all the small chelonians when I worked at the Philly zoo. At that time, and maybe still today there was much praise and criticism of the "Jackson ratio". What I ended up doing was getting the tortoise volume, shell shape is removed as an issue by doing that. Then weighing them. I collected all the other states as well, height, length, width blah blah blah. It resulted in to this, each cc of chelonian should be within 5% of the 1 gram. A little under was grossly more a skinny turtle and a bit over tended to indicate a fat turtle. Some individuals in this data collection scheme had various other inspections going of for other reasons that allowed some idea of validity. The most telling thing of all was that females that just laid eggs were more than 5% under weight, but did not look skinny, so that always sent me to dig around and find eggs.

This was true for pancakes, several species of hingebacks, marginateds, russians, juvenile sulcatas, and maybe a few others.

To get volume, I filled a vessel with water to the brim, submerged the turtle, collected the overflow and measured it.

No I did not publish this, political bullfeces associated with zoo work.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Still haven't gotten around to doing this for you, I'll eventually do it. I don't like getting in there pen because this time of year usually lay eggs and I leave in ground. Soooooo yeah