Scammer!!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I’m hoping PayPal is good with refunding. Anyone ever had to request a refund for a payment on PayPal? Really hoping I’m not SOL here. This was gonna be a surprise gift for my wife’s birthday in 2 weeks.

PayPal is usually amazing and they will go along way towards shutting him down!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One thing to look for also is price. The price you were paying is a hatchling price. Older goes for more money and blonde/white/etc even more money.
It's also good to be cautious of any newbies. They aren't even allowed to post a for sale thread without first meeting the posting requirements of 100 thread/posts.
Sorry this happened, so glad you will not be out the money.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
One thing to look for also is price. The price you were paying is a hatchling price. Older goes for more money and blonde/white/etc even more money.
It's also good to be cautious of any newbies. They aren't even allowed to post a for sale thread without first meeting the posting requirements of 100 thread/posts.
Sorry this happened, so glad you will not be out the money.

Yea there were red flags that I just ignored. I think I just wanted it to be true because we had been looking for a new leopard for our family for quite a while and I thought it wouldn’t be crazy to think another forum member would give out a good deal. But yea if it’s to good to be true it probably is. It’s a good lesson for me to learn from.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Geez. He must do this all the time. If anyone is bored at work and wants to follow an update on this case it gets more interesting.

So when I filed my reclaim with PayPal yesterday it was for an item that was never shipped/received. But today when I called PayPal to follow up they advised me that the seller provided a USPS tracking number on the reclaim file. They gave me this “new” tracking number and it’s for an envelope that shipped out 09/24 which was the day after I paid for the tortoise) and will be arriving on Saturday 09/29. (For those wondering it shipped out of Hollywood Florida so he is in Florida).

This obviously won’t be a tortoise but my guess is he goes and ships an envelope with nothing of importance in it just so he can provide a valid tracking number to PayPal which will in return allow him more time on the reclaim case. Because now I can’t do anything through PayPal until the “package” is delivered on Saturday then I have to update my reclaim file to “item not received as described”.

My next step today is calling the post office and seeing if they will tell me what the delivery address is listed on that package. I doubt it’s even coming to my house but maybe it is. I think it’s just a way for him to buy more time.
You should be able to track the package and it will show you the delivery address

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m hoping PayPal is good with refunding. Anyone ever had to request a refund for a payment on PayPal? Really hoping I’m not SOL here. This was gonna be a surprise gift for my wife’s birthday in 2 weeks.

Yes...PAYPAL should be good on their word here (and reputation) - AND will know who the owner of that Account is should you want to press charges.

Good luck. I guess Caveat Emptor and Trust but Verify are valid here!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Us moderators are kind of in a bind when it comes to banning members. We have to have some pretty good evidence before we can take such a drastic step. Consequently, we have to wait to hear the end of this story before we can act. When I was approving new members, I wouldn't have seen anything wrong with this person, and would have approved the account. Please keep us informed.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Us moderators are kind of in a bind when it comes to banning members. We have to have some pretty good evidence before we can take such a drastic step. Consequently, we have to wait to hear the end of this story before we can act. When I was approving new members, I wouldn't have seen anything wrong with this person, and would have approved the account. Please keep us informed.

I will keep you updated. I should know more Saturday or Sunday.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Had that new member reached the "criteria" to be able to post animals for sale?
I don't think they posted a for sale ad the OP posted a wanted ad and they were contacted by the scammer.

Bee62

Germany
I am sorry to hear that you payed money to a scammer. That is really bad.
I wish you good luck that you`ll get your money back.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I don't think they posted a for sale ad the OP posted a wanted ad and they were contacted by the scammer.

Yep they DM’d me after I posted in the wanted section. It was for sure by no fault of this site that this happened. There were some red flags I should have picked up on better. Lesson for everyone to just be extra careful.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yep they DM’d me after I posted in the wanted section. It was for sure by no fault of this site that this happened. There were some red flags I should have picked up on better. Lesson for everyone to just be extra careful.
Hopefully you'll get your money back.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ya hopefully you get your money back and thank you for making us aware of that scumbag.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
If possible it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to video yourself receiving and opening the package if an envelope does come.

If the package actually does show up tomorrow not even sure I want to open it. We’ll see. Recording it isn’t a bad idea though. I’m guessing he just ships a piece of paper to a random address to buy him time on the PayPal claim because i can’t move forward when there is a valid tracking number in transit.