Scale ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

loverlyskye

5 Year Member
My Russians have been mating and this has never happened to me before. I've had them for a couple months. I just noticed tonight that he had ripped one of her front scales off. I don't know what to do and I feel terrible. Right now they are in different enclosures. What do I do for her?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Keep the injured area flushed with warm clean water and squeeze a touch of neosporin on it ---just keep in clean. I would also keep them apart from one another ---are you placing them together in hopes of her offering up babies? If yes, then she will sustain injury during the time they are together---this species is very aggressive when pestering the female....I would absolutely plan on housing them in their own enclosures as a normal daily routine...

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Post pictures please.

Was there skin tear or bleeding?

Keeping them in separate enclosures is a good start.

loverlyskye

5 Year Member
They came together with one enclosure. The guy i got them from said they have had them together for 5 years. I didn't think of separating them until this happened. She's sleeping right now so ill take a photo later.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Just keep it dry and keep it clean. Sometimes this happens if they are digging...or if the male is nipping at the female to tuck her head in so he can get behind her and do his thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.