SC Sulcata

Billpebbs

5 Year Member
I have been around for along time. I've had sulcatas for a few years off and on. But one thing that I just noticed is how big mine had gotten. I've only had my current baby, Baggins for 14 months (15-16 months old). It wasn't until today that I have owned 2 at one time the newest being Took. The newest one I was told was born at the end of last summer. But I have been worried that Baggins wasn't growing. The I seen just how much bigger Baggins was then Took. Any who,

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
???????????????? What you getting at???????

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
See, you posting that and no pics, well that's just not allowed:p :D. Just kidding, but would still like too see pics of the two.

Billpebbs

5 Year Member
Looking at adding photo

mike taylor said:

Just that I have seen people posting about there tort not growing. I thought the same thing. Haven't weighed mine for a while but I know Baggins was 57 grams at 3 months.

Attachments

• 1390099623184.jpg
    1390099623184.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 176

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you just got the new one, you should keep them separate for at least three months too be sure the new one isn't sick or carrying something that could make your other one sick. Also, keep a very close eye on them if you are housing them together. Tortoises are loners and do not really want or need company. Most likely the older one will bully the new one that is invading his home, also, be sure to provide each a humid hide and lots of space. Your older one is pyramided some and adding some humidity will help them both grow smoother new growth.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Billpebbs said:
Looking at adding photo

mike taylor said:

Just that I have seen people posting about there tort not growing. I thought the same thing. Haven't weighed mine for a while but I know Baggins was 57 grams at 3 months.

Ohhhh......They will grow, they will grow for sure. One day you will worry this two become so big and eating too much and pooping everywhere like very large dog. You will see if you kept them long enough. You will see.

Do not worry they are not growing.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
What?! Haha that's awesome. Are you planning on Gandalf being another sulcata? You could always try to find the lightest colored leopard and he could be Gandalf the White [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

On a somewhat related side note: I know someone with a bearded dragon named Smaug [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Billpebbs

5 Year Member
Re: RE: SC Sulcata

Barista5261 said:
What?! Haha that's awesome. Are you planning on Gandalf being another sulcata? You could always try to find the lightest colored leopard and he could be Gandalf the White [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

On a somewhat related side note: I know someone with a bearded dragon named Smaug [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

No Gandoff will be an aldrabra. Outside pen will be up this coming summer. I did think about getting an ivory and going with Gandoff the white. Then I thought about getting the other sulcata that isn't an African but cannot find one for sale.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bill, and welcome to the Forum!

My gut instinct is telling me that Baggins isn't being kept warm enough. Have you read the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section? Keeping them warm and moist really encourages growth.

How about showing us where the tortoises live and what you feed them. We may have some helpful hints for you.

Billpebbs

5 Year Member
Well what I hoped would happen did. The new tort taught the old one how to eat. Sounds crazy but the oldest tort never under stood that the pellets were food. New one came in and started eating them right away. A few days later and the older one is eating without a problem. I'm still thinking the new tort who is a year younger will out grow the other. That is the next thing Imma watching for.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I would
Like to know what happen to your other sulcatas?
Don't sulcatas live for a long time?

Billpebbs

5 Year Member
I bought one with "soft shell", poor thing only lived about a month. I really didn't know much about them back them. I did take Pokey to the vet and all that.

That other one was probably 20 years ago maybe and I can't remember.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Billpebbs said:
I bought one with "soft shell", poor thing only lived about a month. I really didn't know much about them back them. I did take Pokey to the vet and all that.

That other one was probably 20 years ago maybe and I can't remember.

Thanks for sharing [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I'm glad that you have one now!