Sanding sealer on pine. Safe?

Beibitoi

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
Hi,

Just got a baby sulcata and bought this enclosure (closed) made up of pine. According to the maker, he used a sanding sealer then a clear coat.

After few days of acquiring and having it air dried further, I noticed strong fumes that even I couldn't bear. I'm not sure if it was the incandescent bulb or the wood itself.

Is there anything else I could do to make this safe for my sulcata? I wouldn't hesitate to throw it if it poses any harm. But I don't want to waste it either if it can be safely used.

By the way, the incandescent bulbs were only installed, thinking that it would cure the enclosure quicker (dumb idea?)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8021FA26-3F1F-4543-9C37-99383FCE04F6.jpeg
    8021FA26-3F1F-4543-9C37-99383FCE04F6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Byron Todd

Looks nice. Most finishes are fine after complete curing. Complete curing could take up to 20 days for some sealants. I would just wait it out. Leave the lights on too in order to heat it up a bit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

Just got a baby sulcata and bought this enclosure (closed) made up of pine. According to the maker, he used a sanding sealer then a clear coat.

After few days of acquiring and having it air dried further, I noticed strong fumes that even I couldn't bear. I'm not sure if it was the incandescent bulb or the wood itself.

Is there anything else I could do to make this safe for my sulcata? I wouldn't hesitate to throw it if it poses any harm. But I don't want to waste it either if it can be safely used.

By the way, the incandescent bulbs were only installed, thinking that it would cure the enclosure quicker (dumb idea?)

Thanks in advance.
This is the problem with using wood for closed chambers.

No one can answer your question. We'd need to know exactly what was applied, and even then, it would depend on many factors. Who knows how much they can tolerate when it comes to fumes? I've never experimented to find out. If I can smell any fumes at all, I won't put a living animal in it.

This is why I switched to using expanded PVC for all my indoor enclosures.

Beibitoi

Manila
Thanks for your replies. Now I understand that it is better to assume that it is not safe to use it in its current state. Before doing anything drastic such as throwing or using it for something else, is there anything else I could do to make it safer for my tortoise regardless of whatever was applied by the maker?

How about adding 3 to 5 coats of polyurethane such as what is suggested in other parts of this forum?

Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You could line it with some heavy poly. That could keep it from rotting out for maybe two-three years