San Jose CTTC meeting - Dont miss this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Everyone!

I'd like to invite each of you to attend the SECOND Meeting of the San Jose
Branch of California Tortoise and Turtle Club.

Date: Monday September 8th, 2008

Time: 7PM

Place: Round Table Pizza
14940 Camden Ave (At Union)
San Jose, Ca.
408-371-9550

What is the Club all about you ask? This club is for those who would like to be educated more about our little shelled friends and share like interest. The club consists of new owners to long time collectors. The club is a huge source of information. Membership is $20.00 a year. You do not have to be a member to attend the meeting. During the meetings, we will have presentations such as the one described below.

Presenters:
Terry and Nadia Burtz will be giving a presentation on the BIG GUYS!!!!
Yes, we are talking Galapagos and Aldabra Tortoises! They got em!

Since most of us will never actually own a Galapagos or an Aldabra, this is
A great opportunity to ask what it is "REALLY" like to own one of these prehistoric
giants!

Additionally, we have a little club business to discuss. What do we want to call ourselves? Do we want to be known as the San Jose Branch of CTTC, or something much cooler? It's up to us.

Normally we would be meeting on the first Monday of the month, but because
The first Monday of September falls on Labor Day, we are holding the September meeting on September 8th.

There are positives at having the meeting at this particular Round Table:

1. Great Food and Drink.
2. HUGE air conditioned meeting room. This location is their corporate training center.
3. Great Video Arcade for the kids.
4. Great playground for the kids.

One negative - No reptiles or animals of any kind inside the restaurant.

Gang, a great deal of effort has been made to put this together. Please
make every effort to attend. Jerry has done a lot of work to make this happen.

If you have friends or acquaintances interested in tortoises, please invite
them. You do not need to be a member to attend a meeting....just an interest in turtles and/or tortoises.

For more information, you can contact

Jerry Gach
President - CTTC San Jose Branch
408-227-5267
Email: [email protected]

Or

Kevin Norred
Secretary / Adoptions - CTTC San Jose Branch
408-4825437
Email: [email protected]

The club website for San Jose is http://www.tortoise.org/sanjose

The California Website is http://www.tortoise.org

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Thank you for the kind invitation Mondo. Unfortunately I will be unable to attend as the distance is too far to travel but it is nice to see another CTTC chapter emerging. Good luck with you meeting and know if I am ever in the area the first Monday of the month I will be attending. :)

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Hey Mongo, if I come down there do you think we can slip one of those Aldabras out the side door into my van? I'll buy you an extra extra large pizza with the works :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the invitation Mondo.

I wish I could go but I live in Canada.

Can you believe that there are no tortoise club where I live, some people even ask me what a tortoise is (they know the word turtles but not tortoises :(

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Isa said:
Thanks for the invitation Mondo.

I wish I could go but I live in Canada.

Can you believe that there are no tortoise club where I live, some people even ask me what a tortoise is (they know the word turtles but not tortoises :(

Isa,

I feel your pain. I live in Calgary and I'm haven't met another tortoise person.

It's always seems like an endless job me to give people the FYI rant tortoises. :)

I wish there was a tortoise club in Calgary. There is at least a repetile society in Alberta

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Chucky said:
Hey Mongo, if I come down there do you think we can slip one of those Aldabras out the side door into my van? I'll buy you an extra extra large pizza with the works :)

Hey Chucky,

You know the way to my heart!!!

The person that will be doing the presentation is a local who has Aldabras and Galopagos tortoises. I cant even imagine where I would begin to keep one of those giants. I am still trying to figure out where to put your ivory!!!!!

Hope those who are within a reasonable distance can make it. Should be a lot of fun.

Rumor has it as well that I will be picking up some 2yr old Cal Deserts for adoption. Anyone interested that LIVES in California and will travel to the bay area , send me a email if interested.
[email protected]

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
hey. any thought to changing the location of your meeting? i am apart of CTTC Valley Chapter, and the best part of the turtle meetings is seeing turtles!

people bring turtles all the time to either show off or find homes for. some people just bring their little ones just to play and hold them while they attend the meeting.

i think you will get a lot more interest if you can actually have tortoises there.

i would drive up 5 hours from los angeles, if you promised to have galaps and aldabras there for your meeting instead of just someone showing slides and talking. thats really boring to me.

just an idea. hope your chapter becomes successful.

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
hey. any thought to changing the location of your meeting? i am apart of CTTC Valley Chapter, and the best part of the turtle meetings is seeing turtles!

people bring turtles all the time to either show off or find homes for. some people just bring their little ones just to play and hold them while they attend the meeting.

i think you will get a lot more interest if you can actually have tortoises there.

i would drive up 5 hours from los angeles, if you promised to have galaps and aldabras there for your meeting instead of just someone showing slides and talking. thats really boring to me.

Hey SPikethebest,

This go around for the meeting location is just a last minute thing. Unfortunately in the bay area....all the places want tons of money to rent a room for a non profit meeting location. We ( Our president ) is still in the works of trying to find a better place, but for now...we have to settle for Pizza Hut. Once things are established and maybe as things get bigger, we may have them back. I will keep everyone posted.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
we need something like this in iowa. too bad i cant just go on vacation for a night and come to one of the cttc meetings.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
MONGO said:
spikethebest said:

Hey SPikethebest,

This go around for the meeting location is just a last minute thing. Unfortunately in the bay area....all the places want tons of money to rent a room for a non profit meeting location. We ( Our president ) is still in the works of trying to find a better place, but for now...we have to settle for Pizza Hut. Once things are established and maybe as things get bigger, we may have them back. I will keep everyone posted.

you should find a park with an MPR. or a church or a school.

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Wayne.Bob,
If you looking for a club, this may help. http://www.iaherp.org/
it is the Iowa Herp Society. I bet you will find a lot of Tortoise/Turtle People.

[/quote]you should find a park with an MPR. or a church or a school.
[/quote]

Spikethebest,

We have looked at all the above. The Churches, schools and everything else out here want $$$$$. Nothing is free here. Time is money unfortunately. The other factor is since we are in California the "Sue happy State" , they want huge insurance policies that we are working on...in the future months, we should be ok. Just on short notice...we had to go with the simple things. The other thing as well is once we get a good size membership, someone will have a connection that will help out.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
thanks Mongo, i am already a part of the Iowa herpetological society. thanks for looking to help me out though.
wayne

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wayne.bob said:
thanks Mongo, i am already a part of the Iowa herpetological society. thanks for looking to help me out though.
wayne

No Problem.

You know, if there is enough interest, maybe you can talk to the CTTC for a little guidence and start a Central USA chapter in Iowa.....There has to be interest for Tortoises and Turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.