San Antonio red foot supplier

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a healthy hatchling in San antonio?
A hot dry desert climate is all wrong for red foots. Much better to choose a different species that is more suited to your climate. That is why you probably won't find any breeders near you. They don't do well there.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have to agree with @Tom.
Redfoot are more of a south Florida or Hawaii tortoise. Not that it can't be done. But you'll need a very large indoor closed chamber enclosure or something like a greenhouse.

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a healthy hatchling in San antonio
The humidity is very high most of the year in south Texas. I have a friend who breeds red footed tortoises in Corpus Christi, TX. Let me know if you would like contact information via private message. The last time I saw him he had about 20 adults living outdoors.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The humidity is very high most of the year in south Texas. I have a friend who breeds red footed tortoises in Corpus Christi, TX. Let me know if you would like contact information via private message. The last time I saw him he had about 20 adults living outdoors.
The weather in Corpus Christi is significantly different than in San Antonio.

itsameyoshi

San antonio
I have to agree with @Tom.
Redfoot are more of a south Florida or Hawaii tortoise. Not that it can't be done. But you'll need a very large indoor closed chamber enclosure or something like a greenhouse.
We are military and retiring soon to the Dallas area. The temps are quite different up there than down here, although certainly not south Florida elements. 😞 my baby passed in the night last night. I fought so so hard to nurse him back to health. I dont know if it was my ignorance, or that he was not well from the store. I admit, thanks to this forum, my education on tortoises - specifically rf- is vastly different than a month ago when I was gifted him.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have to disagree. San Antonio is only about 160 miles away from Corpus Christi.
I'm only about 40 miles from the coast, but my climate is vastly different than what they get near the coast. During our summer heat waves when its 110 here we take a 40 minute ride west and the temperature is 72. Or even down in the 60s if its overcast, which it often is. They are also humid near the beach, while we frequently have single digit humidity.

Having been through San Antonio a number of times, it was significantly drier there than it was on the gulf coast of TX. Hotter too.

itsameyoshi

San antonio
In 2 weeks, there's a reptile expo happening near me. Lots of vendors and sales of rfs in particular from what I've seen. I'm curious to know opinions on these expos. I'm aware opinions must be quite mixed due to the vendors showing up being from specific areas...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In 2 weeks, there's a reptile expo happening near me. Lots of vendors and sales of rfs in particular from what I've seen. I'm curious to know opinions on these expos. I'm aware opinions must be quite mixed due to the vendors showing up being from specific areas...
Most of the vendors are terrible. Often they buy from someone else to resell, and don't know the history of the tortoise. In this case, and even in the case of them breeding themselves, the babies are seldom started or cared for correctly in my experience. I've gone to reptile shows all over the country over the years, and it has been the same everywhere. Most of the conventional wisdom on how to care for tortoises is just plain wrong. Its the same wrong info everywhere you go, so it doesn't matter where in there country the expo is happening.

If you want a healthy baby, your best bet it to buy directly from a breeder that starts them correctly and knows their entire history. Some of those types of breeders will go to a show to sell their offspring, so you might find a good one. Just know what questions to ask.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We are military and retiring soon to the Dallas area. The temps are quite different up there than down here, although certainly not south Florida elements. 😞 my baby passed in the night last night. I fought so so hard to nurse him back to health. I dont know if it was my ignorance, or that he was not well from the store. I admit, thanks to this forum, my education on tortoises - specifically rf- is vastly different than a month ago when I was gifted him.
I'm very sorry that your tortoise died.
It's extremely difficult to have success once a very small tortoise gets ill. They're not as robust at that age.

itsameyoshi

San antonio
Most of the vendors are terrible. Often they buy from someone else to resell, and don't know the history of the tortoise. In this case, and even in the case of them breeding themselves, the babies are seldom started or cared for correctly in my experience. I've gone to reptile shows all over the country over the years, and it has been the same everywhere. Most of the conventional wisdom on how to care for tortoises is just plain wrong. Its the same wrong info everywhere you go, so it doesn't matter where in there country the expo is happening.

If you want a healthy baby, your best bet it to buy directly from a breeder that starts them correctly and knows their entire history. Some of those types of breeders will go to a show to sell their offspring, so you might find a good one. Just know what questions to ask.
That's great advice. Thanks so much!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Where did you get the first one?

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
If it were me I would dispose of everything the tortoise came in contact with before buying another.
If it is too expensive to dispose of something then sanitize it with 12% peroxide.

Introduction

San Antonio tx
A local store here in San Antonio called Forever Pets
I also got my red foot from Forever Pets. The 1st week was awful. It was sick as well. I did take it to see a veterinarian & she gave me some critical care food & said good luck. I definitely would not recommend that place to anyone in the SA area. Luckily Sydney made it through.