Safety

GeorgeTheTort_14

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So in about a weeks time, me and my family are going on a little vacation and I am tagging along my Eastern Hermanns Hatchling Tortoise George, my question is, say we go out about a few hours and I have to leave him at home, he will have his enclosure and his lighting, but I am really worried about his possibly flipping over, normally I act like a parent watching a toddler 24/7 and am constantly checking up on him every minute, but I get really nervous about the thought of leaving him alone for a certain extent of time. Has anyone been there before? And if so how did you cope and manage with this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would be far better for George to leave him at home and have a friend, neighbor or family member come check on him and do food and water daily. Or take the enclosure to their house and set him up.

There is no reason why a hatchling can't be left unattended for several hours at a time. Clip some mulberry branches or grape vines to throw in the enclosure and that should make flipping very unlikely, and also offer some excellent browsing for your baby.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
We have a number of members who have installed web cameras to check on their shelled friends while they're away from home. I don't remember who all did that, but I'm thinking @jsheffield is one of them.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I have one as well... blink from amazon. if we go away, we leave someone the key and if anything bad happens they can head over. That said, when my tort first arrived he did go everywhere with us.

GeorgeTheTort_14

Texas
It would be far better for George to leave him at home and have a friend, neighbor or family member come check on him and do food and water daily. Or take the enclosure to their house and set him up.

There is no reason why a hatchling can't be left unattended for several hours at a time. Clip some mulberry branches or grape vines to throw in the enclosure and that should make flipping very unlikely, and also offer some excellent browsing for your baby.
I am taking him with me, we are staying at a family’s house so he will be all set up in a room with His lighting, enclosure and all, just the little times we may go out I would get worried but Thank you!