Safe?

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
are any of these safe to feed tortoises?

Bougainvillea
783708546_518.jpg

Plumeria
images

(not sure what these are called but they are EVERYWHERE here)
20100502-Puerto-Rico-089-650x432.jpg

lastly we have this flower bush that looks a lot like a hibiscus in fact i think they might be in the same family
the flower looks like this but the leafs look like hibiscus leafs and the flower is a deeper color in the middle with lighter colors on the outside of the flower (we have one in more purple in the back and one in a pink in the front)
Yellow-Flowers.jpg

ill take pictures of the ones we have in a few days when im not so sick, as well as a cactus we have thats flat and large with almost no spikes on the actual cactus pad

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The bouganvillea and plumeria are edible, but until I can find the names of the other two, I don't know about them.

The yellow flower might be allamanda, which is toxic. I'm still looking. It also looks like yellow trumpet bush, which is poisonous.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
perfect! are both the flowers and the leafs edible?

here is a picture of the last plant i was talking about i have to wait to get a better picture when its in bloom again (every few days) but i am holding up the fallen flower so you can get a idea of the color of them (pretty different from the yellow one in the picture) as well as the leafs. the picture of the yellow one is Allamanda I used it due to the fact the flowers shape is the same but the leafs are sooo different

Attachments

• WIN_20140310_180611.JPG
    WIN_20140310_180611.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 23

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought bougainvillea was toxic? No?

Sorry. I don't know the rest.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
I was able to find bougainvillea on tortoise table (i missed it the 1st time through) "The leaves and flowers of the Bougainvillea are not generally considered to be toxic, but the vine hides spines that have a waxy covering that can cause contact dermatitis in people or injure eyes if pricked, so it isn’t advisable to grow this plant in the tortoise enclosure. There are reports that the sap can cause mild toxicity in dogs if ingested, but we believe there is little danger to reptiles and so a few leaves and flowers could be added to the tortoise diet, but it is best to feed in moderation only."

still 100% unable to find any of the others though... we have that plant in my last post growing in through our fence in the back where ill have a large kiddie pool out there for the tortoise so hopefully someone comes along and knows what that is, so i know to keep it cut or just let it grow...