Safe Paint?

Er1c

Since I'm completely rebuilding a couple of large cages for my tortoises (and Tegu) I was wondering what kind of Reptile-safe paint that can be used that's heat resistant and waterproof. I'm also refurbishing a basement for a bigger reptile room so any tips involving that would be appreciated as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No paint or epoxy bought in the store will be water proof. There is no easy solution to this.

You can use fiberglass and resin. You can buy expensive non-toxic boat paint and primer. I've done that and it works.

I used Drylok on my last build and its holding up well.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you can find it in bulk (Why I use it) Fiberglass resin and hardener can be mixed and applied like thick paint with a paint brush and once cured can handle a great deal of heat, is waterproof and is very hard and smooth. In some applications I have mixed in sand or ultra fine pebbles for grip such as for water pools.
If you can find a deal.
Otherwise Fiberglass can get expen$ive.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Since I'm completely rebuilding a couple of large cages for my tortoises (and Tegu) I was wondering what kind of Reptile-safe paint that can be used that's heat resistant and waterproof. I'm also refurbishing a basement for a bigger reptile room so any tips involving that would be appreciated as well.
Chlorinated rubber paint is what they use for swimming pools and ponds. It's not cheap though. If your not doing a huge area it may be worth investigating.