Sad update on Plumley

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
For those of you who have been following this story I have my final update. Between 3pm Friday and 7am Saturday he lost 3 ounces (I had been weighing him daily and again in the morning for correct med dosage). He started mouth breathing/gaping far worse than this on-and-off gasping over the three weeks I had him and he was visibly weaker. He declined over the course of the day and died a short time ago.

He fought like hell and I did everything possible (with my vet and rehabbers advice as well) but I think his injuries were just too extensive. Too many unknowns when a tort comes in with such a traumatic injury..

Days like this make me never want to rescue again...but I know I'll continue to answer the call...

Previous threads included: Another Rescue with a Shell Wound, Update on Plumley, and Need Karmic energy.

Thanks in advance for the words of encouragement I can always count on in this group.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Huge Hugs! So sad, but you really gave it your best. Stay Strong and never give up, there will be others that need you.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I got your email.
Thank you for including me. I will still mail the care package, as you WILL help a tortoise in need again. (The Force is strong in this one) LOL....supposed to make you laugh.

Anything else you need? I will put a package together this week. Last week was hell, too many crit care cases, late nights, etc etc. I'm emotionally exhausted. I get one day off to spend with my own animals, them back to the grind Monday.

Huge hugs, I'm crying as well. I'm so, so sorry. You will see him again in Heaven, and he will be perfect.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i followed those other threads. this is terrible. i lost a rescue recently as well. i felt so bad, and was very upset. im sorry for the loss. were in the same boat.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
I'm so sorry Terese... Just know you did your best, and you're an awesome person for putting your heart into Plumley. Hope you feel better soon.

bextort

5 Year Member
I am so sorry, I followed plumleys story and was holding out for a happy ending, grateful there are people like you who gives torts a chance instead of writing them off. You provide the highest of care to give the best chances, know that you did all you can and should be proud. And remember the next rescue call you get may have a happier ending :)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Plumley Angel will now be looking out for you from the other side.

Ann from CT

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so sorry to hear your loving, caring efforts could not help this one. Please don't stop rescuing though. Plumley died, while trying to be helped, and not just neglected.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Plumley knew how much you cared. His journey was simply over. He was someone else's once and there was joy there. But circumstances changed and then he was with you and you were his angel on earth. Now it's reversed. His journey is elsewhere. Rest in Peace little Plumley.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Aww, I'm so sorry. I was also following Plumely's story. He was so fortunate to live out his last days with someone who cared as much as you did (do).

Rest in Peace, sweet Plumely!

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I am really saddened for you and I am sorry that this happened. You do such a great job with your rescues and unfortunately not all of them are able to be saved even when you put everything you have into them which I know you do. Hopefully, you have more success stories like the 2 big red foot girls. Keep up the great work and know you are in my best thoughts.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am so very sorry that you lost your tortoise. I'm not sure the pain of the fight and loss will ever get better!
I only know that your tortoise passed away being loved and cared for. I would wish that on any living thing.
Please continue your good work.
I am sorry!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I am so sorry [PENSIVE FACE]