S.O.H. - save our hatchling

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I buy the squash and sweet potato in the frozen section of the grocery store and thaw enough for all the turtles to have a meal. It all comes in pre-cut chunks, but I cut the sweet potato into fine pieces because the turtles don't eat it otherwise. They do like the squash though and get bits of the potato as they eat that. I just sprinkle a little of the kibble on top and only occasionally offer the corn.

Your baby will not be as tempted by this meal as much as it will be for some worms or other bugs, but your adults might like it.

Pill bugs were my babies first meals, followed by bloodworms in a shallow dish of water and then graduating to earthworms. If one has any doubt that these turtles are predatory, watching a baby box turtle launch into an earthworm is an education. lol

I always feed babies in the same container each time as they seem to become conditioned to look for food when I put them in it.

VTA Cat

Southern California
I buy the squash and sweet potato in the frozen section of the grocery store and thaw enough for all the turtles to have a meal. It all comes in pre-cut chunks, but I cut the sweet potato into fine pieces because the turtles don't eat it otherwise. They do like the squash though and get bits of the potato as they eat that. I just sprinkle a little of the kibble on top and only occasionally offer the corn.

Your baby will not be as tempted by this meal as much as it will be for some worms or other bugs, but your adults might like it.

Pill bugs were my babies first meals, followed by bloodworms in a shallow dish of water and then graduating to earthworms. If one has any doubt that these turtles are predatory, watching a baby box turtle launch into an earthworm is an education. lol

I always feed babies in the same container each time as they seem to become conditioned to look for food when I put them in it.

VTA Cat

Southern California
Dear PJay: Update...our Rose was a month old last Monday and we're happy to say she loves pill bugs! Doesn't like worms. :) Thanks for the suggestion. We've learned to give her a good soak in the afternoon, let her bask for a while to get warm, then give her a pill bug. She prefers to eat on the dirt and enjoys a nip of cuttlebone after eating. Lots of trial and error, but she's showing us her likes and dislikes. No change in her weight yet but her face is looking more adult. Will keep you posted. Many thanks!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Dear PJay: Update...our Rose was a month old last Monday and we're happy to say she loves pill bugs! Doesn't like worms. :) Thanks for the suggestion. We've learned to give her a good soak in the afternoon, let her bask for a while to get warm, then give her a pill bug. She prefers to eat on the dirt and enjoys a nip of cuttlebone after eating. Lots of trial and error, but she's showing us her likes and dislikes. No change in her weight yet but her face is looking more adult. Will keep you posted. Many thanks!
That's great! When I have hatchlings, I keep pill bugs in the house in a critter keeper with some moist soil, leaves and mulch, etc. and they multiply. They eat fish flakes, apples carrots and leaf litter from a pesticide free area. Have a good steady supply all winter. I put the hatchling in a small container with a dozen pill bugs and let them eat to their hearts content.