Brumation at cold indoor temps

P-Chan

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Greetings,

I have a 3 toed box turtle that is with me in Oregon. This is her 3rd winter here, the first winter she spent outside, brumating naturally. The second winter she was with someone else who avoided letting her brumate, but this year she's with me (I just got a house and got her set up nicely) and my house is kept at 63F in the winter (down to about 60 inside the terrarium). She's stopped eating and has partially buried herself, which is what I would expect. I just want to get some feedback if my temps are acceptable. I know it's not as cold as she would have it in nature, she's still alert and everything seems fine. Any thoughts on this? Also, she's by a window and I usually have the UVB light on a timer over her habitat, how long should I run this per day during the winter months?

Thanks! (sorry if these were answered elsewhere, I looked, but didn't see anything obvious - https://www.boxturtleworld.com/box-turtle-care/box-turtle-temperature-needs/ mentions nighttime temps down to 60F is fine, but mostly talks about normal non-winter environments)

P-Chan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turtles and tortoises need to be able to brumate in temperatures below 50F but above 40F, so your cool house temperatures aren't cold enough for brumation. You run the risk of her starving because she's too cold to eat, but not cold enough for her system to slow down.

P-Chan

Oregon
Ok, I have 2 options available then, I can either move her enclosure to the storage shed, where it will get down to outside freezing temps eventually (it's in the 50s outside normally right now (58 right now, but normally mid 50s daytime to mid 40s overnight). Otherwise I could look at adding some heat and bringing her back to normal summer temps slowly (I was reading about warm water soaks and such, which would be totally doable). Which would you suggest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's up to you and what you want. If they're kept warm with summertime-length days, they don't need to hibernate. If you want to have the pleasure of the turtle's company over the winter, then keep it up. If you like to have a break from caring for the turtle, then move it to the shed. Just give it plenty of cover so the frost doesn't reach it.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I believe I read on here those 50-60 degree temps called the "death zone" , very appropriately …….. personally , having disturbed the process , i'd bring him in the house at this time of year , keep him warm , humid , well lighted and eating …… next year i'd leave him hibernate naturally without disturbing the process ……..

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
Turtles and tortoises need to be able to brumate in temperatures below 50F but above 40F, so your cool house temperatures aren't cold enough for brumation. You run the risk of her starving because she's too cold to eat, but not cold enough for her system to slow down.
Interesting, thanks for always new information. :)