Russiantort with shell rot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russiantort33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MA, USA
Hello my fellow RT lovers. I'm new to this community and I just want to say I'm happy to be here. Now I have a seven year old Russian tortoise (guessing the age) named Yuri. I have all the right supplies for him. My mom gave me him 3 years ago I don't know if she got him at petco or some pet store like that. Anyways I have not been able to afford going to take Yuri to a vet so yeah. I have an issue that I would like some advice on. About a week ago I noticed this little hole like thing on the upper left hand side of his bottom shell. I don't know if it's shell rot or shell growth? There's a photo on this thread that you can see I'd like if anyone could give me some advice to what this is and what I can do. Again I thank you for reading this and I'm glad to be in this community. ImageUploadedByTortForum1376843146.834154.jpg

I love Yuri.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Russiantort33

Hi Thomas, and welcome to the Forum!!

The picture is too dark for me to get a good look at what you're talking about, but just in case it isn't shell rot, the shell rot treatment won't hurt a healthy shell. Scrub the spot real good with a soft bristle tooth brush, making sure to get it clean all around the inside edges of the hole. Then dry it well and dab some athlete foot cream in the hole. While you're treating this, try to keep the substrate fairly dry. In fact a russian tortoise of your tortoise's size really doesn't need a moist substrate anyway, so dry substrate.

Russiantort33

5 Year Member
MA, USA
Russiantort33

Ok where can I get treatment and what happens if I can't get the treatment?

I love Yuri.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Russiantort33

I just told you the treatment:

"Scrub the spot real good with a soft bristle tooth brush, making sure to get it clean all around the inside edges of the hole. Then dry it well and dab some athlete foot cream in the hole. "

Russiantort33

5 Year Member
MA, USA
Russiantort33

I don't have any athlete foot cream.

Are you sure athlete's foot cream is going to work and if I don't have it is there any other kind of cream or something that will work?

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Athletes foot cream cost about $2.75 at target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, ect. You need an anti fungal treatment. I don't think anything else you have in your house will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.