Russians and digging

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
How deep has your Russian dug? The tort yard is surrounded on three sides by cinder blocks sunk 10 inches deep. The fourth side is the house foundation which is 2 feet deep. I have this fear that he'd end up under the house! I'll be keeping my eyes out for burrows of course. But it makes me wonder...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russians are excellent at hiding their burying place. They'll dig themselves into the ground, pushing the dirt so that it falls in behind them, hiding where they've buried themselves. For this reason, I've always provided them with hiding places. I didn't want them to make their own. If they can get under the house, that sounds like a great place for a Russian to go. If they can figure out how to get under there, I'm sure they will!!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Hmmm...He'll have lots of hiding places, but now I'm even more worried! I hadn't realized that you can't necessarily see the burrows.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My Russian enclosure is made with retaining wall bricks - not sunk into the ground. I have never had one dig out or even under them. (I have had some climb out though!)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine dig straight down like landmines, when I go out to check on them I always have to watch where I am walking. They only dig down deep enough to cover themselves.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Some people will dig down and put some sort of safe mesh or whatever so they can't dig down more than 6-12 inches. I'm sure my little guy would go to town outside! He has substrate twice as deep as he is long for his indoor enclosure and is always sitting at the bottom.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
tortoisenerd said:
Some people will dig down and put some sort of safe mesh or whatever so they can't dig down more than 6-12 inches. I'm sure my little guy would go to town outside! He has substrate twice as deep as he is long for his indoor enclosure and is always sitting at the bottom.

It's so weird how different torts of the same species can be! Nelson NEVER burrows. He sleeps on top of the substrate in his little red hide.

Treebon

5 Year Member
Boston
ChiKat said:
tortoisenerd said:

It's so weird how different torts of the same species can be! Nelson NEVER burrows. He sleeps on top of the substrate in his little red hide.

I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. My Russian only buries rarely, and never stays for long when he does.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Lately he has been sleeping more on top. I think its because he has been going to bed later and doesn't have the time to dig a burrow (he is still up when the light goes off).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Mine all dig in for the night, and they go back to the same holes every night. But they are only deep enough to be barely covered. Usually there is a butt and a tail sticking out, or they turn around and their heads are sticking out, lol.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have to add myself to the group where none of mine have ever burrowed down more then a few inches. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.