Russian Tortoise Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello!
I just bought a Russian tortoise and am using coconut fiber as a substrate. I live in south texas and its very humid here so I was wondering whether or not I should get some different type of substrate to lower the humidity level. Any suggestions? Thanks

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I do not own a russian tortoise so I can't help you but I wanted to tell you: Welcome to the forum :)

Smithen

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
As Abra said, humidity is a good thing. Personally though I do not like the cypress mulch because it is too thick and can be very sharp. I tend to use a coir/sand mix or coir/top soil mix. Those are just my opinions though.

Tyler

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Taelor:

Welcome to the forum!!

TLL

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
for my greeks, i use cypress, but i am going to change, a while later, to a 50 50 mix of topsoil and playsand.
humidity is a good thing, but too much of it can be bad.. just make sure that the tort is warm and has somewhere dry to go :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It will dry out eventually. If you don't like it to be too moist, just don't add water after it dries out. Give it a couple days under the lights and it will be plenty dry.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome!:D Congrats on the new Russian!! Is he your first tortoise experience? I personally like the coir (Bed-a-beast bricks) and a bit of sand myself. Mine love a nice deep layer to dig into.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Firstly, welcome!
My russian has been on cypress mulch/coir, but last weekend I had to put him on sand/orchid bark. I don't like the newest combo at all, so I'll be going back to the cypress mix. Its true that as long as he's got a warm place, he'll be okay. and it'll dry out a bit under the lights.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Alright thanks everyone for the response. I think Im just going to stick with the coir bricks and some sand. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.