Russian Tortoise shell health

ZuesandDash

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I have had this Russian tortoise far about 10 years. When I was given her their shell looked just about the same. However, as I have gotten older and more financially stable I would like to get her healthy. These pictures are of her shell. She lives with a male Greek tortoise, who tends to bang himself into her. I isolate him when I see it or turn off the lights (which usually stops him). Any advice or help about how to help her out with her shell? Is this considered shell rot? IMG_2449.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like older damage. Possibly from being chewed on by an animal. Not really anything to do about it now, other than offer good food and good living conditions.

What you can do to help her greatly is to give her her own enclosure. Being tormented constantly is no way to live. Turning the "sun" off during the day is also no good. Tortoises should never live in pairs, and species should never be mixed.

Read these for more tips on how to make their lives better:

Questions and conversation are welcome.

ZuesandDash

Maryland
Thank you! I have constantly been worried about. They have been living together since I have had her. Would that change be bad?

ZuesandDash

Maryland
Thank you! I have constantly been worried about. They have been living together since I have had her. Would that change be bad?
I have also noticed many times that they will sleep together and many times head to head. Is that anything significant?

ZuesandDash

Maryland
These are small signs of bullying, another reason to separate
Oh really! So all this time I've had them its been bad!
As for her shell, is there any cream or other nutritional supplements? She also has a very long beak. I have tried shaving it down but she is too scared (as expected). Does the calcium block help with that?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Oh really! So all this time I've had them its been bad!
As for her shell, is there any cream or other nutritional supplements? She also has a very long beak. I have tried shaving it down but she is too scared (as expected). Does the calcium block help with that?
Yeah, it has been bad, but not horrible. It could have been much worse, luckily it was just the more lesser signs of bullying. I'm not sure of any supplements for the shell, maybe someone else can help. The calcium block does help. Also try feeding a carrot. That helps break off the largest part.

ZuesandDash

Maryland
Thank you! I should have used this forum a long time ago. I also thought of this. I read that when they sleep with their head and legs out that they feel comfortable in their environment. Both tortoises have done that. Is that just dependent on what the other tortoise is doing?
I realize you may not know all the answers haha, but just asking away. I will be taking both to an exotic vet when the pandemic is over.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The beak needs to be trimmed by a vet. An overgrown beak makes it hard for the tortoise to eat.

That shell damage is quite old and there's nothing you can do or even need to do at this point.

Mixing species is never a good idea.

Keeping tortoises in pairs is not a good idea.

Keeping a male and female in an enclosure that size is not a good idea.

Keeping two tortoises in an enclosure that is too small for even one tortoise is not a good idea.

ZuesandDash

Maryland
I appreciate the advice! I always thought they were great together (Besides the bullying). I will take action into getting a different enclosure, one for each tortoise.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Thank you! I should have used this forum a long time ago. I also thought of this. I read that when they sleep with their head and legs out that they feel comfortable in their environment. Both tortoises have done that. Is that just dependent on what the other tortoise is doing?
I realize you may not know all the answers haha, but just asking away. I will be taking both to an exotic vet when the pandemic is over.
I think it means they're comfortable, in my opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, that means they're trying to expose as much skin as possible to UV and the heat source