Russian Tortoise seems sick :(

eliseandboris

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Normally Boris has been eating with gusto. This morning he’s slow and has his head in the food bowl eating slowly and didn’t finish. I don’t know what’s wrong and I’m new to this. I have turned him from a rock into a happy guy over the past few months. Seeing him slow is scary. Is it possible I fed him too many collard greens the other day and it messed with him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Diet should be a variety and kale, collards, mustard should be sparingly.
The temps need to be 95-100 for basking under an incandescent flood bulb
Tube florescent for uvb
All over day temp a range of 75-80
Night temps 70.
Make it bright so he doesn't want to slow down during colder temps outside.
Also give him a nice warm soak now and see if that helps.
Post a pic of the enclosure and the equipment you use and your tort so we can help you change what might need changing.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Thank you. Sorry I didn’t get back to anyone yesterday. He passed some pink urites yesterday and he didn’t have any of the foods that would cause this. There was a white clump too that was sorta hard. I soaked him a bunch and eventually he went back to moving faster and chomping on food like he meant it. I’m keeping a close eye on things. Maybe time to check in with a vet. I’ve read that sometimes when they start to get better care, stones that were sitting in there come out?
I have the correct lights at this point. His temp may have been too low over the weekend. He’s in an office and I have to leave things on timers. I’m working on using a heat lamp on a thermostat to make sure it doesn’t get too cold.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Diet should be a variety and kale, collards, mustard should be sparingly.
The temps need to be 95-100 for basking under an incandescent flood bulb
Tube florescent for uvb
All over day temp a range of 75-80
Night temps 70.
Make it bright so he doesn't want to slow down during colder temps outside.
Also give him a nice warm soak now and see if that helps.
Post a pic of the enclosure and the equipment you use and your tort so we can help you change what might need changing.
Thank you. I didn’t get back to anyone because there was a new development and it was a busy day. At the end of the day he was better, but had past pink urates and a somewhat hard white clump. Soaked him a bunch and eventually he was back eating his lettuce like a champ. I’m working on a CHE set up to regulate the tank, but he’s in an office so I’m nervous about trusting it will work properly. He has all the right lighting and we’re making him a new enclosure b/c he came in a 40 gallon tank. Improvements are being made. I will definitely be back for some interior decorating advice amongst other things. Thank you for your help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he is an adult he needs a minimum of a 4x8 ASAP. A 40 gallon is barely big enough for a hatching. So when you improve his enclosure go big.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We need pictures of the setup and tortoise, and the lights you are using.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
I know. I’ve taken over his care and he has been kept like this for many years unfortunately. Building a new enclosure for him at the moment and have all the appropriate lighting per Tom. He went from being still as a rock to happy and mobile since I started looking out for him. Moving along…doing it all the right way, it’s an “office pet” so I have certain limitations. Once I started working there 8 have been changing things.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
We need pictures of the setup and tortoise, and the lights you are using.
I have flukers incandescent bulbs and a new Arcadia UV set up. I went through a whole light fiasco and I’m absolutely positive I have the right things now. The tank and his care have not been good. I started a job and took over care of the “office pet”. He’s been in a “situation” for his whole life. I’m building him a table and trying to improve his diet. Little by little he’s changed so much and is overall much happier. Still working on it as much as I can.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank for doing a lot for him. Please, don't take it as an offence. Site has some technical issues and you older threads aren't easy to find now. If you need any help with adjusting CHE and the thermostat - feel free to ask.

There is a chance that it was an old bladder stone passing out, but watch closely for any more traces of blood or reduced activity. Keeping him warm and hydrated is important. If you feed him Mazuri - maybe makes sense to take a break to prevent more urates from forming (I'm, to be honest, just guessing here). Please, keep us updated on his health.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Thank for doing a lot for him. Please, don't take it as an offence. Site has some technical issues and you older threads aren't easy to find now. If you need any help with adjusting CHE and the thermostat - feel free to ask.

There is a chance that it was an old bladder stone passing out, but watch closely for any more traces of blood or reduced activity. Keeping him warm and hydrated is important. If you feed him Mazuri - maybe makes sense to take a break to prevent more urates from forming (I'm, to be honest, just guessing here). Please, keep us updated on his health.
Thanks Alex. I hope I didn’t come off defensive with people. Everyone here is trying to help and wonderful!
Boris is doing much better today! Urates were not pink! He’s eating like usual :) I gave him a soak last night and this afternoon. I hope he doesn’t have any giant issues that pop up. This has all been such a challenge so far. 😮‍💨🤞