Russian tortoise meal help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

5 Year Member
I have had my Russian for about 3 months and I've fallen completely in love with him. My problem is, I'm a new mom and I don't want to do anything to harm my baby boy. I've been searching and searching for the best diet for a Russian tortoise other than pure veggies, like maybe a pellet meal or something? Needless to say my search has come to an abrupt halt when I realized almost all pre made meals have protien. Is there anybody who knows of a[/align] good pre made meal for my Shakespeare to mix with his diet of veggies?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D We LOVE PICS :p

May I suggest, unless you already have done so, go to the search section on the Forum and type in Russian Tortoise Diet...you should then have a large selection to review and gather items from that will work for your tortoise... :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I will tell you what I feed my 3 and see if that helps. Grape leaves (a big hit) radish tops, hibiscus leaves and flower (russian tortoise crack), artichoke leaves,strawberry tops, strawberry leaves,petunia flowers,dandelion leaves and flowers, various squash leaves and flowers.
Fruits and vegetables should be fed sparingly, mine get strawberry tops once a month and they usually get one carrot a month ( for beak maintenance) and that is all for fruits and veggies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Primarily leafy greens, like lettuce, endive, escarole, dandelion greens, kale, and mustard greens. Also proprietary foods like Mazuri Tortoise Diet and ZooMed Grassland Food. The occasional snail, flower, or carrot is fine, but if you're going to offer fruits like tomatoes or strawberries, only offer a little bit, and no more than once per month maximum, or tortoises like Russians can get indigestion. The diet should be a variety of leafy greens for the most part.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my russian wont touch mazuri, but loves Spring Mix salad, mallow, dandilion, other broadleaf weeds... clovers..

Jessie

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the help. I will try your suggestions and see how he likes them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jessie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

(May we know appx. where you are?)

Status
Not open for further replies.