Russian Tortoise Enclosure Advice

Gstevens123

I have had a Russian Tortoise for a few years now and it has just had the whole of my garden. Now I want to build an enclosure for it. I need your advice on a lot of things, so anything you feel I need to know then tell me. Should I have sand for burrowing, what else should I have in the enclosure etc. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If he's been used to living in the whole garden, it's going to be pretty stressful on him to be boxed in. Make the enclosure as big as you can.

I just use the native soil. Don't add anything. Russians don't have any trouble burrowing in all kinds of soils. Mine is red clay, hard as cement when dry and like molasses when wet. They have not trouble at all burrowing down in the dry soil here.

They eat broad-leaf weeds and plants so provide lots of edible food. Bushes and tall clumps of grass to hide under. A waterer he can climb into if he wants to. A piece of broken cement or tile to eat off of.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you will have to cut any Corners in the enclosure they're excellent climbers. May I ask why you're reducing the size of his area?

Gstevens123

I think I'll just let it have the garden. Should I have any tunnels or something like that?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sure you can put tunnels in your tortoise will probably enjoy that. I have a friend with desert tortoises he has tunnels built all throughout his yard.

Gstevens123

I've decided to put two slate tunnels next to each other and cover it in turf to grow grass over it. He can get under to keep warm and get over to explore

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you? Are you talking about an indoor enclosure, or outdoor?