Russian tortoise eggs fertile or not?

jenstew

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
One of my female russian tortoises has laid two eggs. The first one was one week ago and the second was about 4 days ago. I'm trying to candle the eggs, but despite all of my research, I'm having a diffcult time determining if the eggs are fertile or infertile. One of the eggs looks bascially yellow on one side, the other side somewhat clear. The other egg is pretty much yellow throughout. They both appear to be chalking. I didn't clean the eggs before putting them in the incubator, so they are pretty dirty, which is making this even more difficult. Looking for advice, pics, etc. that will help me through this process.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
One of my female russian tortoises has laid two eggs. The first one was one week ago and the second was about 4 days ago. I'm trying to candle the eggs, but despite all of my research, I'm having a diffcult time determining if the eggs are fertile or infertile. One of the eggs looks bascially yellow on one side, the other side somewhat clear. The other egg is pretty much yellow throughout. They both appear to be chalking. I didn't clean the eggs before putting them in the incubator, so they are pretty dirty, which is making this even more difficult. Looking for advice, pics, etc. that will help me through this process.

Welcome. First question - is this female housed with/kept with males?
Did it bury the eggs or just lay them out on the substrate?

jenstew

Denver
Welcome. First question - is this female housed with/kept with males?
Did it bury the eggs or just lay them out on the substrate?
Yes, she's house with one male and another female. I've only had her since September, she was dropped off at an animal shelter where my friend is a volunteer - long story, but I have her now. She's probably 20-30 years old. The first egg as on the substrate and the second egg was buried in shallow substrate. She's still nesting so I am anticipating more eggs. The eggs are in an incubator at 88-89 degrees and 65% humidity. It's just so difficult to tell if they're fertile or not. Perhaps it's too soon to make that determination. IDK. I'm just looking for any advice I can get.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My advice is to leave the eggs alone. You'll find out if they are fertile or not in a couple of months.

If you just can't help yourself, give it month or so. Fertile eggs will have a very obvious orange-ish red-ish tinge to them, and infertile eggs will be clear or slightly yellow-ish. You should also be able to see vascularization by that point.

The incubation media needs to be dry, but humidity needs to be closer to 100% in the incubator.

What incubation media are you using? Don't use perlite. It can kill them.

More here:

And more here too: