Russian Tortoise Care Tips?

PiL71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi- I am relatively new to the hobby, a few months, july 3 2018 to be exact, and I was just wondering what size enclosure I should have Herb in? Currently, he’s in a 4x2x1.5 foot, which said would be easily sufficient for a russian tort, but I wanted to know what else I should do? I have daily fresh water and food available for him, and enough coco coir for him to burrow, easily, although he doesn’t really Ive noticed..? Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi- I am relatively new to the hobby, a few months, july 3 2018 to be exact, and I was just wondering what size enclosure I should have Herb in? Currently, he’s in a 4x2x1.5 foot, which said would be easily sufficient for a russian tort, but I wanted to know what else I should do? I have daily fresh water and food available for him, and enough coco coir for him to burrow, easily, although he doesn’t really Ive noticed..? Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome. Check out the Care Sheet - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

It contains all the info you need on enclosures, soaking, substrate, humidity levels, what to feed, heating and more!

Good luck.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
How old is your tortoise? The enclosure you have now is fine for a baby, but an adult Russian requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

We would love to see pictures :)

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum!
How old is your tortoise? The enclosure you have now is fine for a baby, but an adult Russian requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.

We would love to see pictures :)

Herb is (from my knowledge and the store that I purchased him from) 5 years old, and apparently he’s had a previous owner. I don’t know who the owner is but I really want to get in touch with them. Any help is GREATLY appreciated as to how Id be able to do that. I’ll post pictures once he wakes up tomorrow!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Herb is (from my knowledge and the store that I purchased him from) 5 years old, and apparently he’s had a previous owner. I don’t know who the owner is but I really want to get in touch with them. Any help is GREATLY appreciated as to how Id be able to do that. I’ll post pictures once he wakes up tomorrow!

If the previous owner got him from a petsmart, petco, or most other chain pet stores, Herb was 5-15+ years old when he was first bought. He’s definitely an adult, and needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet :)

Be sure to give these a read-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If the previous owner got him from a petsmart, petco, or most other chain pet stores, Herb was 5-15+ years old when he was first bought. He’s definitely an adult, and needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet :)

Be sure to give these a read-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Ok, first it wasn’t a chain. I purchased him from Jabberwock Reptiles, which is a very reputable herpes/amphs only store, so I doubt they’d lie. Also, he’s only +\- 4 inches, whereas adults are like 6-8 inches right? So, I don’t really think he’s an adult. Also, not the minimum, but what would you recommend for a GOOD amount of space for him? 6x12 or so? I know the minimum is 4x8 but I’d really enjoy knowing the advised amount of space. Thanks!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok, first it wasn’t a chain. I purchased him from Jabberwock Reptiles, which is a very reputable herpes/amphs only store, so I doubt they’d lie. Also, he’s only +\- 4 inches, whereas adults are like 6-8 inches right? So, I don’t really think he’s an adult. Also, not the minimum, but what would you recommend for a GOOD amount of space for him? 6x12 or so? I know the minimum is 4x8 but I’d really enjoy knowing the advised amount of space. Thanks!

Good to hear he wasn’t bought from a chain. That means he likely is the age you think he is.

It’s great to hear you want to go bigger! 8x4 really is a good size for them, but, of course, bigger is always better. I would just go as big as you can.

Males really only get to about 4-6 inches. Females usually get about 6-10 inches.

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Good to hear he wasn’t bought from a chain. That means he likely is the age you think he is.

It’s great to hear you want to go bigger! 8x4 really is a good size for them, but, of course, bigger is always better. I would just go as big as you can.

Males really only get to about 4-6 inches. Females usually get about 6-10 inches.

Ok, thank you for the help. Also, would you recommend me chopping up his kale and adding some chopped zucchini? (he goes crazy for the zucc)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok, thank you for the help. Also, would you recommend me chopping up his kale and adding some chopped zucchini? (he goes crazy for the zucc)

As a treat, sure. Just be sure that the diet is mainly broadleaf weeds.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What exactly constitutes ‘broadleaf weeds’? dandelions seem to spoil/wilt before a week goes by, maybe escarole?

I say broadleaf weeds, but I really just mean any edible weed, lol. Endive and escarole are good staples, too.
Thetortoisetable.uk is a good place to find out what plants are edible :)

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I say broadleaf weeds, but I really just mean any edible weed, lol. Endive and escarole are good staples, too.
Thetortoisetable.uk is a good place to find out what plants are edible :)

Ok - I have noticed that Herb sleeps next to his basking platform instead of his hide, i had moved the hide previously to accommodate for his weird sleeping patterns, but he moved away from it..? i know they like moist/damp hides, and i squirt bottled the coco coir under the half log a bit but that didn’t change anything.. also i’ve noticed he never seems to burrow? is that normal? thanks.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok - I have noticed that Herb sleeps next to his basking platform instead of his hide, i had moved the hide previously to accommodate for his weird sleeping patterns, but he moved away from it..? i know they like moist/damp hides, and i squirt bottled the coco coir under the half log a bit but that didn’t change anything.. also i’ve noticed he never seems to burrow? is that normal? thanks.

I wouldn’t worry about it as long as he’s eating and active :)