Russian Tort UPDATE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgately

5 Year Member
Some of you guys helped me out A LOT with Russian. She now has a name too! Daisy!
Anyway, as promised, I changed her foods. She's now on all greens. I have her on organic baby spinach (which I picked up earlier today-haven't fed it to her yet) and turnip greens. I gave her two little slivers of strawberries yesterday along with her greens and a few pellets. Mom called and said she ate the pellets, which is rare since she's never ate them before.

I still have a few questions regarding her sleep patterns. I'm at my fathers house this weekend and will be back with my tort later tonight. It's been raining in our area all weekend and mom called. She told me she's been in her hide practically all day sleeping (I'm assuming). I still have her in a 50 gal rubbermaid tub, but am switching her to my under the bed container. I had her in the tub because I wasn't sure how my cat would react to her; after introducing each other, they're cool. The cat's actually scared of her. Haha.
The reason I'm transporting her is because I feel as though her lamp isn't close enough to her. It's a 75 watt basking light from petsmart and will never again listen to what they try to sell me... I'm going to Lowes later on today and need to know WHAT SIZE BULB TO BUY. The lamp says not to put over 75 watts because it cause a fire. I'm not sure if I should do so... The lamp is about 9" or so.

Another question: Is cypress mulch okay for her enclosure? Around here, Jacksonville, FL, hardware stores sell mulch with pesticides and dyes. I don't want to get anything to harm her. I read that you can put it in a black bag and set it outside till use to kill anything in it, but that's not much of a help. would ALL NATURAL really mean all natural? Would it matter?

ONE More: What kind of foliage would be good for the enclosure? Real and Fake. Putting the fake where she can't reach it. Should I buy some Vines or what? I'm iffy on buying real stuff for her from a hardware store because I don't want her around any type chemicals.

Thanks for your time! Daisy will appreciate it!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Basking is usually 100W or 150W to get the correct temperature underneath it (95F). If the lamp holder can't take that wattage, you will need to buy a new lamp holder.

I can't help with your substrate query, sorry... I live on the wrong continent.

As for plants... I would always go real stuff they can eat such as spider plant or aloe or even a tray of living lettuce from the supermarket. plants are there for the tort's benefit not to look pretty from a human point of of view in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.