Russian Shell Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Crown Point, Indiana
So, being a new mom i've been very overprotective of my new tortoise trying to make sure everything is alright with him. I bought him at petco, which has given me a ton of worries knowing alot of pet stores tortoises are WC. He was in the best condition of all the tortoises, and his shell seems to feel hard, but the edges are starting to curve up, and are a little jagged-ish. It's hard to explain so i attached some pictures. Can anyone tell me whats going on and how i can fix it? After looking at pictures of everyone else's RT i noticed mine's shell isn't as bright as the other and rather dirty-sh looking, and the edges deffinately aren't like others.
Here are some pictures, so hopefully someone knows whats up and can tell me a solution. (sorry they aren't good quality, my sister took my camera for the weekend, so they are taken off my phone)
His age is unknown so im not sure if its from old age or what? Thanks!

Attachments

• 02122012_008.jpg
    02122012_008.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 94
  • 02122012_011.jpg
    02122012_011.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 02122012_007.jpg
    02122012_007.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 73

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I apologize ...but all I see is a beautiful Russian :D. Beautiful color...great shell shape...likely wild caught....I would watch his food intake and poo production to make sure not runny poo and make sure he has a healthy appetite (once he is acclimated to his new world that is)....again, he is beautiful...:D

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
ascott said:
I apologize ...but all I see is a beautiful Russian :D. Beautiful color...great shell shape...likely wild caught....I would watch his food intake and poo production to make sure not runny poo and make sure he has a healthy appetite (once he is acclimated to his new world that is)....again, he is beautiful...:D

Why thank you! Since i bought him at petco, i was scared of him being sick or something! But thank you for reassuring me! :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Almost all turtles have marginal scutes that flare slightly upward. The only exceptions are marginated tortoises, which as their name implies, have marginals that flare a lot upward, and the soft-shelled, pig-nosed, and leatherback turtles, which have no scutes at all. I think your tortoise looks quite normal. :)

Vishnu

5 Year Member
I think he is a beautiful color.. One of mine is from Petsmart. "He" was supposed to be a male. But, I believe "he" is a she afterall. Yours is a wonderful looking Russian. Congrats!!

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
Thank you all. :D Im very excited to have him! All i got to do now is get him to eat, which has been sort of a challenge, but hopefully once he settles some more he will. :p but thank you again!

tortiechik

5 Year Member
New Mexico
lauren43201 said:
Thank you all. :D Im very excited to have him! All i got to do now is get him to eat, which has been sort of a challenge, but hopefully once he settles some more he will. :p but thank you again!

He looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.