Help guess an age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hi!

I got my Russian tortoise yesterday and I have reason to believe he is quite old. How old, I am not sure of so I attached pictures so you all could please help.

What I do know is the people I got him from had him for four years. I asked them if they had any idea of how old he is and they said no but they did say thatDSC_0893.JPG when they got him he was already an adult. Sorry for the lack of information.

What I found online:
-With extreme age the scutes seem to be sunken in due to calcium becoming harder to acquire
-The ends of the shell being turned up are signs of age and a weak shell

If you all could just please look at the pictures and tell me what you think. I am not looking for an exact age.
DSC_0893.JPG
DSC_0889.JPG
DSC_0890.JPG
DSC_0892.JPG
DSC_0891.JPG
DSC_0894.jpg
DSC_0895.JPG

Thanks ( I hope you can see the pictures)

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We really cannot tell the age of a tortoise unless we know the hatch date. They all grow at different rates depending on diet, environment and whether they are wild caught or captive bred. Anything we said would be a complete guess.

I can't see anything to worry about, just a nice wild caught tort. Tell us more about his enclosure and how long he is :)

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
JoesMum said:
We really cannot tell the age of a tortoise unless we know the hatch date. They all grow at different rates depending on diet, environment and whether they are wild caught or captive bred. Anything we said would be a complete guess.

I can't see anything to worry about, just a nice wild caught tort. Tell us more about his enclosure and how long he is :)

Any guess on his age is fine with me. I was just going to see what multiple people said and then go off of that.

I was told that he was actually captive bred. He is about 5"-6" long. He will be living in a 20 gallon long tank for a few weeks till I figure out the next enclosure (either two totes put together, a breeder tank, or a tortoise table). He has a 100W basking bulb. Next to that is his 10.0 UVB bulb. Inside is a large water dish, a rock for climbing, a pot for hiding, and a substrate which is a mixture of Eco-Earth and natural play sand. If you need any other information I'll be happy to tell about him!

Thanks

I'm not sure if my reply went through so I'll write it again.

They told me he was captive bred but he could be wild caught. That upsets me because I did not want a wild caught one, it is extremely cruel to me.

For a few weeks he will be living in a 20 gallon long with a 100W basking bulb, 10.0 UVB, a pot to hide in (I think you can see it in one of the pictures), a large water bowl, and a rock. His substrate is a mixture between Eco-Earth and natural play sand.

Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Twenty gallons is far too small for a 5-6 inch tort. This one has lived outdoors fair portion of its life, you can tell by the shell, and at that size I would be guessing at 10 years old or more. It just doesn't look like a tort that has been in captivity since hatching. My tort Joe was wild caught. We got him in 1970 when it was the norm. The only way to be certain you have captive bred is to buy a hatchling, or buy from a reputable breeder.

Your tort needs a large enclosure, preferably outdoors... 4' x 6' or more. Your Russian will go stir crazy in anything smaller. Be careful with any enclosure, they are expert diggers and climbers and will make escape attempts.

In the wild, Russians roam huge territories, meet up to mate and move on. They don't get lonely or need, or want, company. In captivity, they need lots of space and do not share nicely.

Indoors, you need 105F under the basking lamp for 12 hours a day so that your tort can bask and digest his food.

Your UVB also needs to be on for 12 hours a day. I hope your lamp is a tube fitting. The compact (coil) bulbs are not suitable for torts as they cause eye problems. If your tort gets outside it doesn't need a UVB lamp as well.

At night it needs no additional like and temperatures can drop to around 65F. Humidity should be average - low to avoid shell rot.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
JoesMum said:
Twenty gallons is far too small for a 5-6 inch tort. This one has lived outdoors fair portion of its life, you can tell by the shell, and at that size I would be guessing at 10 years old or more. It just doesn't look like a tort that has been in captivity since hatching. My tort Joe was wild caught. We got him in 1970 when it was the norm. The only way to be certain you have captive bred is to buy a hatchling, or buy from a reputable breeder.

Your tort needs a large enclosure, preferably outdoors... 4' x 6' or more. Your Russian will go stir crazy in anything smaller. Be careful with any enclosure, they are expert diggers and climbers and will make escape attempts.

In the wild, Russians roam huge territories, meet up to mate and move on. They don't get lonely or need, or want, company. In captivity, they need lots of space and do not share nicely.

Indoors, you need 105F under the basking lamp for 12 hours a day so that your tort can bask and digest his food.

Your UVB also needs to be on for 12 hours a day. I hope your lamp is a tube fitting. The compact (coil) bulbs are not suitable for torts as they cause eye problems. If your tort gets outside it doesn't need a UVB lamp as well.

At night it needs no additional like and temperatures can drop to around 65F. Humidity should be average - low to avoid shell rot.

I definitely understand that 20 gallons is way too small and he wont be living in there much longer, I promise!

I plan on him living outside in the warmest summer months. I went to Lowes to find a sort of fencing that extended below the ground and was strong enough to keep him in. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything so I am now looking online- any ideas on what i should use?

The humidity is perfect then and I turn off the lights at the end of the day.

Thanks for the information!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd say he's 8 or 10 years old. Still growing, but almost full grown. Captive bred Russian tortoises have a different look to their carapace. I may be wrong, but to me, your tortoise looks wild caught.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Yvonne G said:
I'd say he's 8 or 10 years old. Still growing, but almost full grown. Captive bred Russian tortoises have a different look to their carapace. I may be wrong, but to me, your tortoise looks wild caught.

That's disappointing to know he was wild caught. Now I know to buy from a breeder. Thanks for the information!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My guess is that he's somewhere between 4 and 40 years old. I could be wrong. He might be 80.

Did you catch the part from Joe's mum about the coil bulb? It can burn his eyes. If yours is the long tube type, then its fine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Help guess an age?

Tom said:
My guess is that he's somewhere between 4 and 40 years old. I could be wrong. He might be 80.
That's pretty much exactly what I thought... but I am sure he is older than 4.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
So I am moving him into a 75 gallon today and I taking back the coil. thanks

I'll post picks later today.

cally

5 Year Member
Congrats on ur new russian :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

I wish i could guess an age with my russiAn! :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Team Gomberg said:
Tom said:

Great answer! :D

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Okay, I get it, there is no way to tell the age on it. That was why I asked. I didn't know. Thanks

cally said:
Congrats on ur new russian :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

I wish i could guess an age with my russiAn! :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Thank you!

cally

5 Year Member
Congrats on the new tort! :)I first asked ppl how old kale is- ImageUploadedByTortForum1372794157.541188.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372794179.049197.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372794198.909432.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372794223.867851.jpg
I still have absolutely no clue or opinions.. Is yours female or male? If you get any guesses on age, let me in :) good luck!!! And have fun with ur new tort

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tortoiselove, I wasn't giving you a hard time for asking. Did you think I was? I'm sorry.

I like Toms answer cuz I feel like I have been answering this question alot lately and his wording was to the point and funny at the same time.

Heather

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Team Gomberg said:
Tortoiselove, I wasn't giving you a hard time for asking. Did you think I was? I'm sorry.

I like Toms answer cuz I feel like I have been answering this question alot lately and his wording was to the point and funny at the same time.

Heather

It's okay, thanks for clearing it up! :tort:

cally said:
Congrats on the new tort! :)I first asked ppl how old kale is-

I still have absolutely no clue or opinions.. Is yours female or male? If you get any guesses on age, let me in :) good luck!!! And have fun with ur new tort

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Beautiful Russian! and I will be sure to!

lokenica

5 Year Member
Okay, so now I am worried about the Russian I am "looking after" for the summer. He is a small Russian, in a 20 gallon tank with bark from petsmart for substrate, a hiding log, water dish and feeding dish. I emailed the owner to see if she is going to want him back over the summer, as I feel I need to make some drastic changes. I am building an enclosure for a "tortoise to be"of my own.....still looking...hoping now that she doesn't want him so I can have him live in the enclosure that I am building with my dad. The basking area has one of those black metal domes with a basking bulb in it. What bulb should I get or make sure this one is? It is one of those bulb hangers that you buy at PetSmart. It is not a long bulb as mentioned in this post. From what I understand, a parent of a student brought the entire setup to school and gave it all to her. Nothing has changed since I brought him home, except for a warmer bulb, and a diet change. I also soaked him today for 30 minutes in warm water (advice from a Russian owner today). I don't think he was ever soaked and he looked really dry and flaking around his face. Any other advice in the interim until I get an answer from her? I am a bit stressed out about his well being. Thanks.

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
lokenica said:
Okay, so now I am worried about the Russian I am "looking after" for the summer. He is a small Russian, in a 20 gallon tank with bark from petsmart for substrate, a hiding log, water dish and feeding dish. I emailed the owner to see if she is going to want him back over the summer, as I feel I need to make some drastic changes. I am building an enclosure for a "tortoise to be"of my own.....still looking...hoping now that she doesn't want him so I can have him live in the enclosure that I am building with my dad. The basking area has one of those black metal domes with a basking bulb in it. What bulb should I get or make sure this one is? It is one of those bulb hangers that you buy at PetSmart. It is not a long bulb as mentioned in this post. From what I understand, a parent of a student brought the entire setup to school and gave it all to her. Nothing has changed since I brought him home, except for a warmer bulb, and a diet change. I also soaked him today for 30 minutes in warm water (advice from a Russian owner today). I don't think he was ever soaked and he looked really dry and flaking around his face. Any other advice in the interim until I get an answer from her? I am a bit stressed out about his well being. Thanks.

I'm sure someone with more experience will help you (I'm still new to this whole thing lol)! My russian stayed in a 20 gallon for one day. Now he is in a 75 gallon and I plan on moving him into something more spacious and not as narrow as his 75 gallon. This should happen within the month. Good luck!
(the tank is a little dirty on the glass with water marks from where I used to spray the bearded dragon lol) and i still have to add a barrier so he can't see out
DSC_0915.JPG
DSC_0916.JPG
DSC_0917.JPG
DSC_0918.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lokenica said:
Okay, so now I am worried...

You should really start another thread of your own for this. Please. You can simply copy/paste the text into a new thread, if that would save some time.

Okay tortoiselove25. The new enclosure is a step in the right direction. Good job. :) The next big issue to deal with is that water bowl. Your tortoise could flip and/or drown in that one. The sides are too tall. Terra cotta plant saucers work the best and they are really cheap too. About $2 at any hardware store. They work best if you sink them into the substrate so the rim is level with the surface.

And whatever your tortoises age, you got a looker. He's really handsome, as russians go. :D

tortoiselove25

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Tom said:
lokenica said:
Okay, so now I am worried...

You should really start another thread of your own for this. Please. You can simply copy/paste the text into a new thread, if that would save some time.

Okay tortoiselove25. The new enclosure is a step in the right direction. Good job. :) The next big issue to deal with is that water bowl. Your tortoise could flip and/or drown in that one. The sides are too tall. Terra cotta plant saucers work the best and they are really cheap too. About $2 at any hardware store. They work best if you sink them into the substrate so the rim is level with the surface.

And whatever your tortoises age, you got a looker. He's really handsome, as russians go. :D

I think I have a terra cotta plant saucer out back, I'll put that in first thing tomorrow! I'm sure he would thank you for the compliment if he understood english!:D Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.