Russian Help!

mateo

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello! This is my first time posting here and it is under unfortunate circumstances.

I am helping take care of my boyfriend's russian tort, we have had him for a little under 2 months. The past few days he has stopped eating, or been eating very little, which is unusual for him. I thought he was just constipated, as the other day it was quite an effort for him to poop, but I figured he got through it and would perk up a little.

Yesterday during his bath I noticed he has what looks like a blister on his back leg, partially under his shell. I posted up some photos of it. I don't think he's pooped in a few days now, and yesterday he peed out a huge amount of urates.

This morning I was giving him another soak and afterwards he started vomiting bubbles. I have no idea what's going on and I am so worried!!

When I put him back in his enclosure he crawled under his long right away to take a nap. He has been sleeping almost all day every day for the past 3-4 days, and has only come out to bask a few times in the early morning.

Some background: we were told he is about 4/5 years old, his enclosure is half coconut coir and half sand mixed with coconut coir (I'm planning to switch it all out for coconut). He always has fresh water available and I feed him primarily a mix of spring greens, escarole, endive/belgian endive, kale, radicchio, and red/green leaf lettuce. I keep all of these at once and cycle through a different mix every day.
Usually he eats a good amount 1x per day, and recently he's been getting baths just a few times a week.

Finally, does anyone have a specific recommendation for a good vet in the Minneapolis/St Paul area? I'm guessing we need to get him to one ASAP but I've also been known to jump the gun and get way too anxious when it comes to critters, so I figured while I'm at work today I'd see if there's any information or suggestions I can pass on to my boyfriend.

Thanks so much for any help/suggestions you can offer and for taking the time to read this!!

Attachments

• korma1.jpg
    korma1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 21
  • korma2.jpg
    korma2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 19
  • korma3.jpg
    korma3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 18
  • korma4.jpg
    korma4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 18
  • korma5.jpg
    korma5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 17

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The blister could be irritation from the sand.

The lack of appetite could be from the impending winter and his body wants to hibernate.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

What equipment are you using to maintain these temps? What lighting are you using?

AnimalLady

Hello! Welcome!

The sand should be switched out right away, it isn't good for torts at all. If they ingest the sand it can cause impaction, I would recommend you switch that out asap!

mateo

Minnesota
Thanks for the replies! I will switch out his sand tonight for sure.

Warm side is about 80-85 F, cool side is 75 F, basking area is usually about 90 F and overnight I have tried to keep it at 70-75 but it has dipped to 65 F.

Right now I am using the Zoo Med mini dome fitted with a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB and a ReptiSun heat lamp as well, but I'm not sure what kind or wattage.