Russian groceries I tried as always

SuzanneZ

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
But grocery stores in rural places don't care that tortoises need a big selection. Even the packaged salad mixes were baby spinach with baby lettuce. Left that alone. Not a leaf of red to be found. Already have a bell pepper, if that even counts as green. Glad I talked myself out of the parsley after I read the parsley discussion after I got home.
I had to get something different, so I picked not very green shredded cabbage, yellow squash, and a very cute little white pumpkin.
Can you dry greens and feed them to torts?
I would appreciate your brainstorming suggestions. (I'll hit far-away Kroger on Friday.)

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
But grocery stores in rural places don't care that tortoises need a big selection. Even the packaged salad mixes were baby spinach with baby lettuce. Left that alone. Not a leaf of red to be found. Already have a bell pepper, if that even counts as green. Glad I talked myself out of the parsley after I read the parsley discussion after I got home.
I had to get something different, so I picked not very green shredded cabbage, yellow squash, and a very cute little white pumpkin.
I would appreciate your brainstorming suggestions. (I'll hit far-away Kroger on Friday.)
I didn't tell it to post yet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Spring mix, ridicchio, mustard, collards, kale, arugula. I wouldn't feed cabbage but seeing you have it, use it sparingly, endive, carrot tops.
I have never tried drying greens. I don't see it hurting to try a little of it and seeing how it goes. I know you can't freeze them, they just get mushy.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Spring mix, ridicchio, mustard, collards, kale, arugula. I wouldn't feed cabbage but seeing you have it, use it sparingly, endive, carrot tops.
I have never tried drying greens. I don't see it hurting to try a little of it and seeing how it goes. I know you can't freeze them, they just get mushy.
Our carrots don't come with tops! Ha. I can taste the bitter. So cabbage won't do either.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown

zovick

10 Year Member!
My local Kroger carries radicchio and bok choy, both of which are loved by most tortoises. If feeding bok choy, use it only once or twice a week since it is in the Brassica family and a constant diet of Brassica family greens. is not recommended.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
My local Kroger carries radicchio and bok choy, both of which are loved by most tortoises. If feeding bok choy, use it only once or twice a week since it is in the Brassica family and a constant diet of Brassica family greens. is not recommended.
Thank you. I'll share the bok choy with them.

RussianTortMan

California
To make things easy for you.... Try zoo med grassland pellets. Under 5 bucks for around 13 ounces. Soak about 4 or 5 pellets untill they are soft and mix it well with chopped greens. I suggest escarole. Read the ingredients of the zoo med pellets. Its a great pellet food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
Mexican stores too if you have any in your area. Stores that sell so called healthier/organic stores too, they usually have squash blossoms and cactus.
Don't be afraid to ask your local grocery store if they can get you certain things either. Sometimes they can but just don't carry them.